Avocado pasta is a quick and easy vegan dinner recipe! It’s creamy, flavorful, and ready in just 15 minutes. The avocado sauce is made with healthy ingredients, including fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and tastes similar to pesto. This pasta dish is a perfect busy weeknight meal for families!
We all know about avocado toast by now, but have you ever heard of avocado pasta? It is a game changer for avocado lovers! This bright green pasta recipe is light and healthy, yet filling and satisfying. Since it’s loaded with flavor-packed garlic and basil, it has a similar flavor to pesto while remaining entirely nut-free.
This plant-based dish will be your go-to meal after a long day of work. You know those times when you cannot be bothered to spend a whole hour cooking dinner? And it’s tempting to spend a ridiculous amount of money on mediocre food from postmates? Yeah, me too. Try this pasta instead, and thank me later! It’s super easy and ready in 15 minutes from start to finish. You’ll have it plated and set to enjoy faster than you can press “order” on that delivery app. 😉
This avocado pasta is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free
- Creamy, savory, and garlicky
- Ridiculously quick and easy to make
- Fresh and light, but still comforting (a healthy comfort meal)
- Made with 10 ingredients using pantry staples
- Great for spring and summer
- A delicious weeknight meal idea for families!
What is avocado pasta sauce made of?
- Avocado: Of course, ripe avocados are the base of this pasta sauce. They are super creamy, bright green, and loaded with health benefits. In particular, avocados are rich in vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium, and healthy fats. Make sure you are using ripe avocados that are soft to the touch.
- Basil: Fresh basil has a fragrant scent and flavor. You can add more or less depending on your own preference.
- Olive oil: I recommend using a high-quality extra virgin olive oil for the best results.
- Garlic: If you’re a garlic lover, toss in an extra clove for a more pungent flavor. On the contrary, if garlic is not your thing, feel free to remove a clove.
- Nutritional yeast: This ingredient is optional, but I strongly suggest including it. Nutritional yeast has a nutty and cheesy flavor. It’s commonly used in dairy-free pasta recipes and loaded with B vitamins.
- Plant-based milk: Use unsweetened plant-based milk, such as almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk. You can use water instead, but milk creates a creamier consistency and richer flavor.
- Lemon juice: Not only does this ingredient add bright and tangy flavor, it also helps to prevent the avocado sauce from turning brown. (Like guac, the sauce will brown if left out for too long.)
- Vegan parmesan: Parmesan should be used as a garnish. It elevates the dish, adding texture and a subtle nutty taste.
How to make vegan avocado pasta
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
First, cook pasta according to the package instructions. After, drain the pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the water.
While the pasta is cooking, add all ingredients to a blender or a food processor. This includes ripe avocados, fresh basil, plant-based milk, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Then, transfer the pasta back into the pot. Add the creamy avocado sauce on top. Gently toss to evenly coat all of the pasta. If needed, add splashes of the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce.
Finally, serve the avocado pasta with vegan parmesan cheese and fresh herbs (like extra basil, parsley, or cilantro). Enjoy!
How to make it gluten-free: Use your favorite gluten-free pasta, like brown rice, chickpea, lentil, or cassava flour varieties. I personally use and recommend chickpea pasta! In addition to being free of gluten, it is naturally packed with plant-based protein. This will leave you feeling fuller and more satisfied.
How to make it oil-free: Replace the olive oil with tahini or cashew butter. Since nut and seed butters are thicker than oil, you will need to thin the sauce with a few tablespoons of water while blending.
Ingredients to add: Boost the pasta with extra protein, fiber, and micronutrients by trying the ideas below.
- Protein: Add chickpeas, vegan grilled chicken, or grilled tofu to increase the protein.
- Vegetables: Toss in your favorite veggies. I recommend trying it with broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, or cherry tomatoes.
- Greens: Spinach and kale pair well with the avocado sauce. You can add greens to the sauce itself, or stir them into the pasta until wilted. I suggest adding greens over medium-low heat while mixing the pasta and the avocado sauce together.
- Cheese: For a cheesy flavor, be sure to sprinkle vegan parmesan over top. You can also try it with dairy-free mozzarella. If you don’t have either, use nutritional yeast.
What to serve it with: I love serving this plant-based pasta recipe with Vegan Garlic Bread! Other tasty options include side salads, bruschetta, roasted vegetables, and dinner rolls.
How to store leftover avocado pesto pasta
As always, pasta dishes are best served right after preparing them. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in a sealed container inside the refrigerator. This recipe will keep for up to 3 days.
The pasta will absorb quite a bit of the sauce while stored away, so keep that in mind. Whenever I eat reheat leftovers, I add a drizzle of Cashew Cream Sauce over top. This not only adds flavor, but it also makes leftover noodles less dry!
More vegan pasta recipes
- Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
- Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Baked Ziti
- Vegan Pesto Cavatappi
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Cauliflower Alfredo (Vegan)
- Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
Avocado pasta is a quick and easy vegan dinner recipe! It’s creamy, flavorful, healthy, and one of my favorite weeknight meal ideas for families. The avocado sauce is reminiscent of pesto with ingredients like basil, garlic, and olive oil. Pair it with gluten-free pasta for a plant-based 15 minute meal!
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. After, drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the avocados, basil, plant-based milk, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper in a blender (or a food processor). Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer drained pasta back into the pot. Add the avocado sauce on top. Gently mix together to evenly coat all of the pasta. If needed, add splashes of the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce.
- Serve pasta with vegan parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- If you are gluten-free, be sure to use your favorite gluten-free pasta. I use and recommend chickpea pasta – it contains no gluten and is packed with plant-based protein!
- The nutrition information below includes traditional flour pasta since it is the most popular type of pasta. Of course, this will change depending on the type of pasta you use.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: avocado pasta, vegan avocado pasta salad, avocado pesto
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!