This vegan fettuccine alfredo is creamy, healthy, and so easy to make! Combine cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and garlic to create a rich alfredo sauce. Toss it with your favorite pasta and fresh herbs. You’d never guess it’s dairy-free!
Switching to a plant-based or dairy-free diet? Good news! You do not have to say goodbye to alfredo. This vegan fettuccine alfredo is just as rich, creamy, and delicious as the traditional recipe. Yet, no cream and no butter are needed. It’s wholesome, healthy, and full of flavor!
The vegan cashew alfredo sauce is:
- Rich and creamy
- Made with wholesome ingredients
- Vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free
- Packed with healthy fats and protein
- Filling and comforting
- Delicious with any type of pasta
What ingredients are in vegan fettuccine alfredo?
- Cashews. Where does the sauce get its creaminess? Cashews! We’ll soak them in hot water and then blend them to create a luscious dairy-free sauce. Plus, cashews are packed with healthy fats and plant-based protein.
- Nutritional yeast. Since no cheese is used in this recipe, nutritional yeast will provide the “cheesy” flavor. Plus, it’s loaded with B vitamins, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and folate.
- Plant-based milk. I recommend almond milk, but you may also use soy, coconut, or cashew milk.
- Lemon juice. Lemon provides the perfect balance of sour flavor, since the recipe is free of cream and cheese.
- Garlic cloves. Garlic cloves provide a variety of health benefits.
- Onion, salt and pepper. These are used to enhance the flavor.
- Fettuccine pasta. Really, any variety of pasta can be used. If you’re consuming a gluten-free diet, I recommend brown rice, lentil, or chickpea pasta shells.
How to make vegan alfredo sauce with cashews
For the full recipe, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
First, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add cashews to a bowl. Pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 20 minutes. After, drain the water.
Next, add soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, plant-based milk, lemon juice, garlic cloves, onion powder, salt, and black pepper to a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
Cook fettuccine according to the package. Drain water and transfer fettuccine back into the pot. Pour alfredo sauce over the pasta and gently toss to combine. Serve and garnish with herbs.
- Salt the pasta water. If you are not adding salt to your pasta water, you’re missing out! Add 2-3 teaspoons while the water is boiling, It will enhance the flavor and you’ll never return to unsalted pasta again. Note: Although 2-3 tsp sounds like a lot, most of the salt will be drained along with the water later on.
- Use any type of pasta or noodle. Not interested in fettuccine? No problem, use another type of pasta instead! Oftentimes, I’ll enjoy this vegan alfredo sauce with penne, rotini, or farfalle pastsa. For a protein-packed meal, I highly suggest using chickpea pasta instead of traditional flour-based varieties. This is a great option if you consume a gluten-free diet, too.
- Add vegetables. Alfredo is absolutely delicious with roasted vegetables! In particular, this pasta pairs perfectly with broccoli and cauliflower. You may also enjoy it roasted kale, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, or green peas.
- Garnish the pasta when serving. I used a classic Italian seasoning blend, but parsley, oregano, sage, rosemary and basil are all wonderful additions.
- This vegan fettuccine alfredo is best served right away. However, I still enjoy it as leftovers from time to time. It will keep for 1-2 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. As is true with nearly all pasta, the noodles will absorb some of the sauce over time. Therefore, the pasta will be a bit drier when consumed as leftovers.
More easy vegan pasta recipes:
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Pesto Cavatappi
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Peanut Noodles
This vegan fettuccine alfredo pasta is rich, creamy, and so easy to make! It’s made with healthy ingredients in 30 minutes.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add cashews to a bowl. Pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 20 minutes. Drain the water.
- Add soaked cashews, plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, garlic cloves, lemon juice, onion powder, salt, and black pepper to a blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Cook pasta according to the package. After, drain the water and transfer pasta back into the pot.
- Pour alfredo sauce over the pasta and gently toss to combine.
- Use your favorite type of pasta! Any variety can be used instead of fettuccine.
- I always recommend adding 2-3 tsp of salt to the boiling pasta water. It enhances the flavor and makes all the difference.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 21g
Keywords: vegan fettuccine alfredo, vegan alfredo cashew
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!