Vegan pumpkin pasta is a creamy, savory, and delicious fall dinner recipe! It’s rich in flavor but packed with healthy ingredients, like pumpkin puree and cashews. The whole family will enjoy this comforting meal during the fall season. It tastes like a cross between pumpkin alfredo and pumpkin mac and cheese!
Chilly fall evenings call for comforting, cozy dinners. And today I’m bringing you one of my favorites: vegan pumpkin pasta! I don’t know about you, but I cannot get enough of the pumpkin season. Whether it’s gooey chocolate chip pumpkin bars or savory pumpkin hummus, I’m all about a good pumpkin-infused recipe.
If you’re a fan of vegan mac and cheese or dairy-free alfredo, you will thoroughly enjoy this pasta. It’s reminiscent of the two, but unique with a savory-sweet pumpkin flavor. My favorite part? There’s no need to roast a whole pumpkin to make the pasta sauce. It’s a quick and easy recipe that uses a can of pumpkin puree instead!
This pumpkin pasta recipe is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free (with an oil-free option)
- Rich, creamy, savory, and “cheesy”
- A satisfying yet healthy comfort food
- Quick and easy to make // ready in 30 minutes
- Reminiscent of alfredo, but deliciously pumpkin-flavored
- Perfect for the fall season!
What ingredients are in this healthy pumpkin pasta sauce?
This vegan pumpkin pasta sauce is made with a handful of nutritious ingredients:
- Pumpkin: A can of pumpkin puree is used to keep this recipe quick and easy, but packed with delicious pumpkin flavor. Pumpkin contains several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, C, E, potassium, and iron.
- Cashews: Cashews are soaked in hot water to make them nice and plump just before blending. This contributes a creamy flavor and texture with no dairy needed!
- Nutritional yeast: Nutritional yeast helps to create a subtle “cheesy” flavor. It’s also loaded with B vitamins and minerals.
- Plant-based milk: You can use any plant-based milk, like almond milk or coconut milk.
- Mellow white miso: Mellow white miso paste contributes a subtle tanginess. It’s a great addition to dairy-free recipes that attempt to mimic creamy flavors.
- Olive oil: A dash of olive oil is used to sauté the onion and garlic. If you need an oil-free option, use ¼ cup plain water instead.
- Onion and garlic: These are added for savory flavor, and they always smell delicious.
- Seasoning: We’ll keep it simple with salt, black pepper, and a dash of paprika.
How to make creamy pumpkin pasta
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
First, bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add the raw cashews to a bowl, then pour the boiling water over the cashews. Soak for 15 minutes, then drain the water.
Meanwhile, warm a skillet on medium-low heat. Add olive oil and diced onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent, then add minced garlic and sauté for another minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Add the soaked cashews, pumpkin puree, nutritional yeast, plant-based milk, miso, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust with seasoning as needed.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. After, drain the pasta and transfer it back into the pot. Add the pumpkin pasta sauce. Warm on medium-low temperature and stir to combine. Serve immediately with any garnishes of your choosing.
How to garnish this fall pasta recipe
There are a variety of ways to garnish this vegan pumpkin pasta. I highly suggest sprinkling your favorite vegan parmesan and fresh chopped sage over top. Other options include pumpkin seeds, toasted pine nuts, fresh basil, and breadcrumbs.
What goes well with pumpkin pasta sauce?
Skip the pasta and enjoy this pumpkin sauce over roasted vegetables, baked potatoes, or buddha bowls instead. In particular, it pairs well with roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
More vegan recipes with pumpkin
- Pumpkin Energy Balls
- Pumpkin Hummus
- Gooey Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
More vegan pasta recipes
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Baked Ziti
- Roasted Cauliflower Alfredo (Vegan)
- Vegan Pesto Cavatappi
- Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
- Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta
This vegan pumpkin pasta is a creamy, savory, and delicious fall recipe! It’s packed with healthy dairy-free ingredients like pumpkin puree, raw cashews, and nutritional yeast. It tastes like a cross between pumpkin alfredo and pumpkin mac and cheese!
- 16 oz pasta (1 lb)
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon mellow white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Vegan parmesan, for garnish
- Fresh sage, for garnish
- Bring at least 1 cup of water to a boil. Add cashews to a bowl. Pour boiling water over the cashews. Soak cashews for 15 minutes. After, drain the water.
- Warm the olive oil and diced onion in a skillet over medium-low heat. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Add soaked cashews, pumpkin puree, plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, miso paste, salt, pepper, and paprika to the blender. Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Pour the sauce and cooked pasta into a pot. Warm on medium-low heat and stir to combine.
- Serve the pumpkin pasta with vegan parmesan and fresh chopped sage. Enjoy!
- The nutrition information below reflects the use of chickpea pasta.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 457
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 69
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin pasta, vegan pumpkin mac and cheese, pumpkin alfredo
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!