This chocolate mug cake is a quick and easy single-serving dessert! It’s ultra fudgy, super moist, perfectly sweet, and contains pockets of melted chocolate in every bite. There’s no need to make an entire batch of brownies when you can create this healthy treat in just 5 minutes with a microwave. It’s made with vegan and gluten-free ingredients, including overripe banana, oat flour, and cacao.
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is just as it sounds: a single-serving cake that’s prepared and microwaved inside a mug. Other popular names include mug muffin, mug brownie, cake in a mug, and microwave cake. No matter the name you call it, one thing’s for sure… it’s totally delicious and pretty genius!
This chocolate mug cake is the best way to satisfy your sweet tooth without going overboard. Once it’s gone, there are no more temptations. You won’t have an entire chocolate cake or tray of brownies enticing you all week long afterwards. For that reason, this is my go-to dessert when I’m craving chocolate but trying to take it easy on the sweets.
You may have already tried my Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free), and this recipe is slightly adapted from that. It’s basically the same recipe, but with cacao (or cocoa powder) added for that rich chocolate flavor. Because who doesn’t love chocolate?!
This chocolate mug cake is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and oil-free
- Incredibly fudgy, moist, and fluffy
- Rich and chocolaty
- A super easy, 5-minute dessert
- Naturally sweetened with overripe bananas + coconut sugar
- Reminiscent of double chocolate banana bread!
How to make a vegan mug brownie
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
We’ll begin by adding an overripe banana to a bowl. Mash it until nearly smooth, then toss in the wet ingredients. This includes nut butter, plant-based milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix together.
Next, add the oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix together, then toss in the chocolate chips. Transfer the batter to a lightly-greased mug, and microwave for 2 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips for making this vegan chocolate mug cake
Use a wide mug. Wider mugs provide better results than small and narrow mugs.
Add mix-ins. Feel free to add any of your favorite mix-ins. A few delicious options include extra chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, chopped almonds, and crushed walnuts.
Be sure to grease the mug before adding the batter. To prevent the mug cake from sticking to the sides of your mug, very lightly grease it with coconut oil or nonstick spray.
Don’t undercook or overcook the mug cake. The cooking time may vary depending on your microwave, so keep a close eye on it. The edges should be cooked while the center is still slightly gooey. Approximately 2 minutes always works well for me!
Add toppings. Feel free to add your favorite ingredients on top. This can include additional chocolate chips, peanut butter, cinnamon, caramel, coconut flakes, shredded coconut, granola, and so much more. To take things to the next level, add a scoop of vegan vanilla bean ice cream. Sooooo good!
More easy vegan chocolate desserts
- No Bake Brownie Bites
- Turtle Energy Balls
- No Bake Vegan Brownies
- Chocolate Coconut Energy Balls
- Rocky Road Chocolate Bark
More vegan recipes with overripe bananas
- Vegan Banana Brownies
- Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Bread
If you try this Double Chocolate Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free), please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
This chocolate mug cake is a quick and easy single-serving dessert! It’s irresistibly fudgy, moist, fluffy, and packed with chocolate flavor. It’s made with vegan and gluten-free ingredients, like overripe bananas and oat flour. Satisfy your sweet tooth with this healthy mug brownie in less than 5 minutes. You won’t believe how easy it is!
- Add the overripe banana to a bowl and mash until nearly smooth. Add nut butter, plant-based milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Add oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Mix together, then add the chocolate chips.
- Very lightly grease a mug with coconut oil or non-stick spray. Pour the chocolate batter inside the mug. Top with extra chocolate chips, if desired.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Enjoy!
- You can combine the ingredients inside the mug, but I recommend using a separate bowl.
- I recommend using pre-made oat flour, but you can also create your own at home. To create oat flour, simply grind rolled oats inside a food processor until a super fine flour forms.
- Serving Size: 1 mug cake
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: chocolate mug cake, vegan mug brownie, healthy mug cake banana
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!