Vegan Monster Cookies
Vegan monster cookies are super thick, soft and chewy, and so easy to make! They’re packed with creamy peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chips, and vegan M&M’s. Made in one bowl with dairy-free ingredients (and can easily be made gluten-free). It’s a healthier twist on the classic, colorful dessert we all know and love!
Vegan monster cookies are a mash up of different textures and flavors, creating a truly unique cookie experience! As a self-described cookie monster, I can assure you these are some incredibly delicious cookies.
Creamy peanut butter is combined with hearty oatmeal to create a subtly-nutty, chewy cookie dough. Then, chocolate chips and M&M’s are added for pockets of melted chocolate + crunchy candy-coated pieces in every bite. They’re sweetened with brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon is added for warm flavor. What more could you want?!
These monster cookies are:
- Vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, and egg-free // can be made gluten-free
- Soft, chewy, and fluffy inside with crispy golden-brown edges
- Loaded with a sweet peanut buttery flavor + crispy candy-coated gems
- Kid-approved and non-vegan approved
- Great for gifting, birthdays, potlucks, and parties
- A colorful dessert that will brighten anyone’s day!
What are monster cookies?
Simply put, monster cookies are peanut butter oatmeal cookies packed with chocolate chips and M&M’s. As the name suggests, they’re a mash up of several different components – like a monster! These cookies are often extra large in size and thicker than traditional chocolate chip cookies. Sometimes, monster cookies will contain additional ingredients like chopped peanuts, chopped pecans, or shredded coconut.
What ingredients are in healthy monster cookies?
- Flour: These cookies are made with all-purpose flour. To make it gluten-free, use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free baking flour.
- Oatmeal: Use rolled oats, rather than steel cut or quick oats, for these monster cookies. Rolled oats are packed with fiber and minerals like manganese, phosphorus, iron, and selenium.
- Peanut butter: Whether creamy or crunchy, use your favorite peanut butter.
- Vegan butter: I recommend vegan butter from a tub (also known as margarine) rather than vegan butter sticks. In my opinion, the tub variety always works better when it comes to baking.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar helps to create deliciously moist, sweet, golden-brown cookies.
- Chocolate chips: Vegan chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks can be used in this recipe.
- M&M-style candies: Although traditional M&M’s are not vegan, there are several vegan-friendly copycats. Scroll down to view a list of dairy-free M&M style candies!
- Flaxseed: Ground flaxseed and water are paired to create a “flax egg.” Flax eggs are often used in vegan baked goods because they bind the ingredients without the need for real eggs.
- Cinnamon: A dash of cinnamon adds a delicious warm flavor.
How to make vegan monster cookies
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
First, prepare the flax egg by combining ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Mix together, then set aside for 10 minutes to thicken. Meanwhile, preheat the oven and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine vegan butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer, cream the ingredients together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Then, add the flax egg and vanilla extract. Cream together once more.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl. This includes flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated. Toss in the chocolate chips and candy coated chocolate gems. Mix together.
Next, scoop the monster cookie dough into 12 balls. Transfer dough to the baking sheets, then bake for 15 minutes.
Remove cookies from the oven when the edges are light golden brown and the centers are still gooey. They should appear slightly underbaked, because they will continue cooking and firm up a bit while cooling. Finally, allow the vegan monster cookies to cool before devouring.
Where to buy vegan M&M’s
Are M&M’s vegan? No, the original M&M candies are made with milk chocolate. However, you can find several vegan and dairy-free copycats online.
Where to find vegan M&M style candies:
- Clarana Bunte Candy Coated Chocolate Buttons
- No Whey Foods Choco No No’s
- Unreal Dark Chocolate Crispy Quinoa Gems
- Unreal Dark Chocolate Peanut Gems
- Little Secrets Dark Chocolate Pieces
Don’t over-bake the cookies. As always, I recommend removing your cookies from the oven while they still appear slightly underbaked. The cookies will firm up and de-puff while cooling on the baking sheet. For perfect cookies, take ’em out of the oven when the edges are light golden brown and the centers are still gooey.
Bake cookies on the middle rack. If you have the patience for it, I highly suggest baking the cookies one tray at a time on the middle rack in your oven. Oftentimes, cookies will burn or bake unevenly on the upper and lower oven racks. Trust me, it makes a difference and it’s worth the wait!
How to make them gluten-free: Substitute all-purpose flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour.
Make the cookies for Halloween! During Halloween season, you can add googly eyes for a fun and festive dessert.
Store leftovers in a sealed container. To keep the cookies soft and fresh, store them in a sealed container. They will keep for up to 5 days. For longterm storage, place them in a ziplock bag inside the freezer. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Vegan monster cookies are soft and chewy, super thick, and easy to make! They’re packed with peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chips, and vegan M&M’s. It’s a healthy twist on the classic dessert, made with one bowl and dairy-free ingredients (with a gluten-free option). Great for Halloween, kids, parties, birthdays, and gifting! #cookies #chocolatechipcookies #vegancookies #vegandessert #peanutbuttercookies #halloweenparty #halloweenideas #cookierecipes
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan M&M style candy or candy coated chocolate gems
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Combine ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to let the mixture thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add vegan butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar to a large bowl. Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer, cream ingredients together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the flax egg and vanilla extract. Cream together until combined.
- Add all-purpose flour, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together until the flour is evenly incorporated. Add the vegan M&M style candies and chocolate chips. Mix together.
- Scoop cookie dough into 12 balls. Transfer cookie dough to the baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes, or until the edges are light golden-brown and the center is still gooey. Remove cookies from the oven while they appear slightly underbaked. They will de-puff and firm up while cooling.
- Allow cookies to cool before devouring. Enjoy!
- For soft and chewy cookies, remove them from the oven while they still appear slightly underbaked. They will continue to cook and firm up a bit while cooling on the baking sheet.
- Keep cookies stored in a sealed container. They will keep for up to 5 days.
- Read full post for a list of vegan M&M style candies.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegan monster cookies, healthy monster cookies
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!