This vegan cashew cream sauce is a delicious addition to any recipe! It’s super smooth and creamy with a savory, subtly “cheesy,” and tangy flavor. This will be your go-to dairy-free replacement for any creamy sauce or condiment, like alfredo and sour cream. It’s quick and easy, made with 8 healthy ingredients, and ready in under 30 minutes. Let’s do this!
Say hello to your new best friend! If you follow a plant-based diet, this cashew cream sauce will be a very popular recipe in your household. In fact, I make this at least once every single week. It’s commonly referred to as “liquid gold” in my kitchen. I use it on EVERYTHING. (And I really mean everything!)
It’s super creamy, bright and tangy, and perfectly savory. The best part? You can adjust the amount of liquid to make it as thin or as thick as you’d like. Oftentimes, I prepare the recipe as written and use it as a sauce or dressing. Alternatively, you can reduce the amount of water and enjoy it as a replacement for sour cream. You’ll be adding this sauce to pasta, salads, sandwiches, burritos, pizza, soup, chili, curry, tacos, and so much more. Name any meal and this cashew cream will make it 10x better – I guarantee it!
This cashew cream sauce is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and oil-free
- A healthy alternative to heavy cream, alfredo, and sour cream
- Quick and easy // Ready in under 30 minutes
- Made with 8 ingredients and easily adaptable
- Super versatile // Can be enjoyed with countless recipes!
What ingredients are in vegan cashew cream?
- Cashews: Raw cashews are the main ingredient in this cashew cream. Be sure to use the raw variety instead of roasted cashews.
- Nutritional yeast: Nutritional yeast provides a subtle “cheesy” flavor. It’s also loaded with B vitamins, magnesium, copper, and manganese.
- Lemon juice: A dash of lemon juice adds a tartness that mimics real cream.
- Mellow white miso paste: Mellow white miso paste is a key ingredient for flavor depth. It’s a popular “secret ingredient” in dairy-free recipes.
- Seasoning: In particular, we’ll use garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
How to make cashew cream sauce
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Soak the cashews
First, add the cashews to a bowl. Bring water to a boil on the stove, then pour the boiling water over the cashews. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
Blend the ingredients
Next, transfer the soaked cashews (along with the water) to a high-powered blender. Add all of the other ingredients. This includes the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mellow white miso paste, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
Blend the ingredients on high speed for a few minutes, or until a totally smooth and creamy sauce forms. Finally, transfer the sauce to an airtight jar or container. Store in the refrigerator where it will keep for 4-5 days.
Why do you need to soak cashews?
First thing’s first: don’t skip the soaking process! It’s super important to soak the cashews before blending. How come? While soaking, the raw cashews will soften, absorb some of the water, and become plump in size. This helps them blend into a super smooth and creamy sauce later on.
Why is my cashew cream grainy?
If your cashew cream is grainy, one of two things likely occurred: the cashews were not soaked long enough or the blades of your blender are getting dull.
I highly suggest using a high-powered blender or food processor for this recipe. Personally, I use my Vitamix blender. Be sure to blend the ingredients for a few minutes or until a completely smooth consistency forms. If needed, a teaspoon of oil (such as melted coconut oil or olive oil) will help you achieve a smoother texture.
Ways to use vegan cashew cream sauce
There are endless ways to use this cashew cream sauce! One of my favorite things about this recipe is how versatile it is. By adjusting the amount of water in the recipe, you can make it thinner or thicker (as needed). In other words, create a thin consistency to use it as a sauce/dressing or reduce the water to create a thick cream.
- As a sauce or dressing: Enjoy as a pasta sauce, salad dressing, pizza sauce, or drizzled over roasted vegetables, grain bowls, and buddha bowls.
- To replace sour cream: Add a dollop to your favorite sandwich, veggie burger, chili, burritos, tacos, baked potatoes, and soup.
- As a dip: Use it as a dip for raw vegetables, crackers, baked french fries, and warm pita bread.
More vegan sauce recipes
More vegan dips
- Best Guacamole Recipe (Easy & Healthy)
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Green Pea Hummus
- Pumpkin Hummus
This vegan cashew cream sauce is a delicious addition to any and every recipe! It’s super smooth and creamy with a savory, subtly “cheesy,” and tangy flavor. It will be your new dairy-free replacement for any creamy sauce or condiment, like alfredo and sour cream. Enjoy it as a pasta sauce, salad dressing, or drizzled on pizza. Alternatively, add a dollop to sandwiches, chili, burritos, tacos, and so much more. You can enjoy it with nearly everything!
- Add the raw cashews to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small pot, bring 1 + ¼ cups water to a boil. Once boiling, pour water over the raw cashews. Soak the cashews for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soaked cashews (along with the water) to a high-powered blender. Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mellow white miso paste, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the cashew cream sauce to an airtight jar or container. Keep stored in the refrigerator.
- Cashew cream sauce will keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: cashew cream sauce, vegan cashew cream
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!