This chocolate chip banana mug cake is vegan, gluten-free, and a delicious 5-minute dessert! There’s no need to bake an entire loaf of banana bread when you can enjoy this single serving banana bread mug cake. It’s moist, fluffy, and made with healthy ingredients. Plus, it contains pockets of melty chocolate to ensure your sweet tooth is satisfied with every bite!
What is a mug cake?
Are you new to the world of mug cakes? If so, today is your lucky day. I’m proud to introduce you to one of the best inventions ever. (Ok, that’s a tad dramatic… but we take dessert very seriously around here!)
What is a mug cake? Simply put, it’s a single-serving cake that’s prepared and microwaved inside a mug. Mug cakes require minimal ingredients, a super easy clean up process, and they are ready in under 5 minutes.
Whether you’re new to baking or you simply cannot be trusted around a whole batch of freshly baked treats (I know I’m guilty!), I’ve got you covered with this mug cake. It’s a perfect single-serving portion to satisfy your sweet tooth.
This chocolate chip banana mug cake is:
- Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free
- Made with oat flour and no eggs
- Incredibly moist, fluffy, and chocolaty
- Reminiscent of chocolate chip banana bread
- An easy, 5-minute microwave dessert
What ingredients are in this vegan chocolate chip mug cake?
- Bananas: Bananas act as a natural sweetener and contribute to the incredibly moist texture of this mug cake. Plus, bananas are packed with various nutrients including potassium, manganese, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
- Oat flour: Oat flour helps to keep this recipe gluten-free. You can make your own oat flour at home by grinding rolled oats in a food processor. If you do this, try to grind them as finely as possible.
- Nut butter: I prefer peanut butter, but any nut butter works well in this recipe. If you have a nut allergy, use sunflower seed butter or tahini instead.
- Plant-based milk: Almond, coconut, soy, cashew, or oat milk… you name it and it can be used! I always stick with almond milk, but any variety of plant-based milk will do.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar pairs perfectly with bananas and oats. If you can’t find coconut sugar, use light brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Cinnamon: Don’t skip out on the cinnamon! Feel free to add more, if desired.
- Vanilla: Just a small dash of vanilla is needed. Use pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.
How to make chocolate chip banana bread in a mug
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, see the recipe card below.
The best thing about a mug cake is that it’s so easy to make! Seriously, your mug cake will be ready within a few minutes. Start by mashing the overripe banana in a bowl. Then, mix in the wet ingredients.
Once the wet ingredients are combined, fold in the dry ingredients. After, toss in the chocolate chips or mix-ins of your choosing.
Lightly grease a mug with oil or non-stick cooking spray, then pour batter inside the mug. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Enjoy the single serving banana bread straight out of the mug!
Tips for making a mug cake
- Use a wide mug. A wider mug will provide better results than a narrower mug.
- Add your favorite mix-ins or toppings. I added vegan mini chocolate chips, but you can use any mix-in. Chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, peanut butter, and granola are delicious options.
- Lightly grease the mug before adding the batter. This is optional, but it helps to ensure the mug cake won’t stick to the sides while cooking.
- Don’t undercook or overcook it. The cooking time may vary depending on your microwave. Start with 1 minute and 30 seconds. If you need more time, you can always increase it by 15-30 seconds longer. When you remove the mug cake from the microwave, the outer edges should appear cooked while the center is still slightly gooey. It will firm and continue cooking while it cools.
- Allow it to cool. It will be piping hot once removed from the microwave. Allow it to cool and firm a little bit for 1-2 minutes before devouring.
- Add ice cream. If you’re in the mood for a more indulgent treat, add a scoop of ice cream on top!
More vegan mug cake recipes
More healthy recipes with overripe bananas:
- Chocolate Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- The Best Vegan Banana Bread
- Chunky Monkey Baked Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (Gluten-Free)
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Banana Bread Granola
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
If you try this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Mug Cake, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
It’s chocolate chip banana bread in a mug! This vegan gluten-free chocolate chip mug cake is incredibly moist, fluffy, and made with healthy ingredients. You can create this single serving dessert in under 5 minutes.
- 1 medium overripe banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp nut butter (almond or peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Mash overripe banana in a bowl. Add nut butter, almond milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Add oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Fold ingredients together. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Lightly grease a mug with oil or non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into the mug. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Allow mug cake to cool for 1-2 minutes before enjoying.
- You can combine the ingredients inside the mug, but I recommend preparing them in a separate bowl.
- You can make your own oat flour by grinding rolled oats in a food processor. If you do this, try to grind it as finely as possible. It should look similar to traditional flour.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 482
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 76g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip banana mug cake, banana bread mug cake
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!