This funfetti mug cake (vegan, gluten-free) is an easy single-serving dessert that's made in 5 minutes! It's light, fluffy, moist, sweet, and reminiscent of vanilla birthday cake. The simple recipe includes oat flour, cashew butter, plant-based milk, rainbow sprinkles, and vanilla frosting. Instead of creating an entire cake, satisfy your sweet tooth with this healthier cake-in-a-mug!
No, it's not my birthday. But, hey, it is a Friday... so I guess that calls for celebration? Cheers to the weekend! You know I will happily find any excuse to make this vegan birthday-cake-in-a-mug.
If you (a) love baking but hate the clean up process, (b) just started a new diet but your sweet tooth is hollering at you, or (c) can't be trusted with an entire cake in the house... you will love the concept of mug cakes. They are exactly as they sound: a mini, single-serving cake made inside a mug. That means there are no leftovers to tempt you after the treat is finished!
This 5-minute dessert is made in the microwave with surprisingly healthy ingredients, like oat flour and cashew butter. It contains no dairy, no oil, and no egg. My favorite part? It's topped with vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles to achieve that classic cake batter flavor and appearance. Yum, yum, yum!
This funfetti mug cake is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and oil-free
- Fluffy, moist, perfectly sweet, and festive
- One of the quickest and easiest dessert recipes
- Made with 9 ingredients
- Tastes just like birthday cake!
What is a mug cake?
Is it exactly as it sounds? Yup! A mug cake is simply a single-serving cake that is prepared and microwaved inside a mug. This mini dessert is also commonly called mug muffin, microwave cake, and cake in a mug.
What ingredients are in a funfetti mug cake?
- Oat flour: This mug cake is made with oat flour rather than traditional all-purpose flour. It's a healthier alternative, filled with fiber, and naturally gluten-free.
- Cashew butter: Cashew butter is a common ingredient found in healthy recipes that strive for a cake batter flavor. It's sweeter and creamier than other nut butters.
- Plant-based milk: Use any type of plant-based milk. I suggest oat milk or cashew milk.
- Rainbow sprinkles: A spoonful of rainbow sprinkles are required for the festive funfetti appearance.
- Sugar: This recipe is sweetened with good old fashioned sugar. If you want a healthier alternative, use maple syrup or coconut sugar instead.
- Vanilla: A dash of vanilla extract helps achieve the classic vanilla cake flavor.
- Frosting: Like a traditional birthday cake, top this mug cake with a dollop of vanilla frosting.
How to make this vegan mug cake
For the full recipe and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
This recipe is made in 3 simple steps and ready in 5 minutes:
- Add oat flour, plant-based milk, cashew butter, sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, and rainbow sprinkles to a mug.
- Mix ingredients together until combined.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Top with vanilla frosting and enjoy!
Use a wide mug. When creating a mug cake, wide mugs provide the best results.
Add white chocolate chips. Feel free to add white chocolate chips or any of your favorite mix-ins to the batter.
Lightly grease the mug. To prevent the mug cake from sticking to the sides of your mug, it is helpful to lightly grease it before adding the ingredients inside.
Don't undercook or overcook it. The cooking time may vary depending on your microwave. Once cooked, the edges should be light golden brown while the center remains moist. Two minutes always works well for me.
Add toppings. You can enjoy the mug cake on its own or add toppings. What are the best toppings for this funfetti mug cake? Vanilla frosting, rainbow sprinkles, white chocolate chips, whipped cream, coconut butter, cashew butter, and coconut yogurt are all delicious options.
More vegan mug cake recipes
More vegan birthday recipes
- Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough (Vegan)
- Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- Vegan Birthday Cake Cookies
- Birthday Cake Energy Balls
This funfetti mug cake is a quick and easy, single-serving dessert that's made in 5 minutes! It's light, fluffy, moist, sweet, and reminiscent of vanilla birthday cake. The recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and soy-free. Don't forget to top this cake-in-a-mug with frosting and rainbow sprinkles for a classic cake batter flavor and appearance - yum!
- Add all ingredients to a mug. Mix ingredients until combined.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Top the mug cake with vanilla frosting. Enjoy!
- The cooking time may vary depending on your microwave. The edges should be light golden brown while the middle is moist. Approximately 2 minutes always works well for me.
- I recommend using pre-made oat flour, but you can also create your own at home. To create oat flour, simply process oats in a food processor/high-speed blender until a fine flour is formed.
- The nutrition information below is an an estimate without frosting.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegan funfetti mug cake, vanilla mug cake recipe, cake in a mug
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!