These vegan banana brownies are incredibly fudgy, moist, and so easy to make! It’s a healthy dessert recipe that’s made with one bowl and 8 simple ingredients. Put your overripe bananas to good use with this easy dessert, and add chocolate chips for puddles of melted chocolate in every bite!
Got a couple overripe bananas laying around? Instead of putting them to use with a typical loaf of vegan banana bread (which is delicious in its own right) try making brownies for a change!
You’ll get the sweet, moist, and cakey texture of banana bread plus a rich, chocolaty, and decadent flavor. Essentially, if banana bread and brownies had a baby, you’d get this dessert! It’s a great option to satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthier manner.
These vegan banana brownies are:
- Fudgy, moist, and perfectly sweet
- Oil-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and refined sugar-free
- Easy to make & made with just one bowl
- Versatile and easily adaptable
- Naturally sweetened with bananas and coconut sugar
What ingredients are in vegan banana brownies?
- Banana: Overripe bananas should have a yellow peel with brown specks all over it. Bananas are rich in vitamin B6, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and manganese.
- Nut butter: Almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, tahini, or sunflower seed butter are all wonderful options.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is used instead of refined sugar.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder provides the rich, chocolaty flavor.
- All-purpose flour: I recommend sticking with all-purpose flour. I have not tried this recipe with gluten-free flour.
- Flax eggs: “Flax eggs” are made from ground flaxseed + water. Ground flaxseed is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.
- Chocolate chips: Brownies aren’t complete without chocolate chips! Use vegan chocolate chips, mega chunks, or mini chips. Alternatively, you can chop up a chocolate bar and use that instead.
How to make easy and fudgy chocolate chip banana brownies
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, see the recipe card below.
This easy one-bowl dessert requires just a few steps! To start, create the flax eggs. Then, combine all wet ingredients in a large bowl.
Next, fold in the dry ingredients. Do not over-mix the batter; mix just until the ingredients combine. Toss in the chocolate chips.
Transfer the brownie batter to a square baking pan. Bake for 40 minutes at 350F. After, allow the brownies to cool before slicing and devouring.
Kaylie’s tips for perfecting this recipe
Use overripe bananas. Overripe bananas have a yellow peel with brown spots and specks all across it. They have a sweet flavor and moist texture that’s perfect for baked goods. Using underripe bananas will not provide the same result.
Use any nut or seed butter. I prefer almond butter, but you can replace it with peanut butter or cashew butter. If you have a nut allergy, sunflower seed butter and tahini are wonderful options.
Add toppings and mix-ins. Personally, I believe brownies aren’t complete without chocolate chips! Feel free to add any other mix-ins or toppings. Some great options include crushed walnuts, crushed pecans, pistachios, shredded coconut, and vegan butterscotch chips.
Cool before slicing. I know, the kitchen smells incredible and you’re ready to dig into the brownies. However, you should always let the brownies cool before slicing into them. After removing the brownies from the oven, I like to keep them inside the pan for at least 15 minutes while cooling. If you slice into them immediately, they will be too hot and crumble apart.
Make it a sundae! For an indulgent treat, try adding a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream on top. You can go all out and add hot fudge, caramel, crushed nuts, whipped cream, and sprinkles.
Store in the refrigerator. I typically keep these chocolate chip banana brownies stored in the refrigerator inside an airtight container. To reheat, you can pop them in the microwave for just 15-20 seconds.
More vegan brownie recipes:
- No Bake Vegan Brownies
- Vegan Protein Brownies
- No Bake Turtle Brownies (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- No Bake Brownie Bites
More healthy chocolate desserts:
- Chocolate Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Banana Bread
These vegan banana brownies are fudgy, moist, and so delicious! Put your overripe bananas to good use with this chocolaty dessert. It’s made with healthy, oil-free, dairy-free, and egg-free ingredients.
- Prepare oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Create the flax eggs: Combine 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoon water in a bowl. Mix together and set aside to thicken.
- Combine wet ingredients: Add mashed banana, coconut sugar, nut butter, plant-based milk, vanilla extract, and flax eggs to a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients: Add the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking power, and salt. Do not over-mix the batter; mix it just until the ingredients come together. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake: Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil. Spread brownie batter across the pan. If desired, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool: Remove brownies from the oven and let them cool inside the pan. After, slice and enjoy!
- Do not over-mix the batter. Over-mixing develops the gluten (in the flour) and creates tough brownies.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: vegan banana brownies, vegan brownies
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!