These vegan peanut butter blossoms – commonly known as vegan peanut butter thumbprint cookies – are soft, chewy, and simply irresistible. It’s an easy dessert that’s perfect for sharing with friends this holiday season!
Peanut butter, chocolate, and the holiday season. What more could you ask for? If you weren’t already aware, peanut butter blossoms are a holiday classic. And, today, we are taking the traditional recipe up a notch. With just a few adjustments, I was able to create an egg-free, dairy-free recipe for all the vegans out there… because, well, everyone deserves to enjoy this delicious treat!
These cookies are soft, chewy, and light sweet. The salty, nutty peanut butter base pairs perfectly with the creamy chocolate center. It’s super easy to make and great for sharing with friends.
What ingredients are in Vegan Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies?
This recipe isn’t much different from classic peanut butter blossom cookies. The main difference is that it’s free of eggs and dairy. Check out the simple ingredients list below:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Creamy peanut butter
- Vegan butter
- Ground flaxseed
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Chocolate kisses
How to Make Vegan Peanut Butter Blossoms
For the full recipe, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
How to make vegan chocolate kisses
Unfortunately, Hershey’s Kisses contain milk. Therefore, they are not suitable for a vegan diet. Don’t worry, though; there are two solutions!
Solution #1: Since I wanted to create the most authentic-looking and traditional-tasting peanut butter blossoms possible, I took matters into my own hands. I found this chocolate kiss mold on Etsy and made mock Hershey’s Kisses using vegan chocolate chips at home. The process is simple; melt chocolate in the microwave and pour into the mold. Then, store in the refrigerator until the chocolate solidifies.
Solution #2: Instead of creating your own chocolate kisses at home, you can simply top these cookies with vegan mini peanut butter cups instead. This is an equally delicious – but much quicker – option. The choice is yours!
How to make a flax egg
We’ll start by combining 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoon water to a small bowl. Whisk the ingredients together and rest for 15 minutes. The mixture will thicken into an egg-like consistency. After, proceed with the recipe.
First, add ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, creamy peanut butter, vegan butter, flax egg, and vanilla to the bowl. Use a hand mixer to cream the ingredients together.
Next, add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Fold the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
Scoop the dough into 20 balls. Add ¼ cup granulated sugar to a bowl. Then, roll each ball into the sugar. Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes at 375 degrees F. Note: the cookies will appear soft and slightly underdone. They will firm while cooling.
After removing the cookies from the oven, immediately press a chocolate kiss or mini peanut butter cup into the center of each cookie. Then, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Once cooled, enjoy the cookies with a cold glass of almond milk!
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
How do you keep peanut butter cookies fresh?
To keep these cookies fresh, store leftovers in an airtight container. They will remain fresh for three days and last for up to two weeks. Be sure to cool the cookies completely before storing.
How to make blossom cookies without peanut butter?
Is it possible to make blossom cookies without peanut butter? Yes, it certainly is! You can substitute almond butter or cashew butter for peanut butter in this recipe. If you have a peanut allergy, try using sunflower seed butter instead. These substitutions will produce slightly varied results, but the cookies will still taste great.
Can I make gluten-free peanut butter blossoms?
Although this recipe was created with traditional all-purpose flour, gluten-free flour will produce similar results.
If you try these Vegan Peanut Butter Blossoms, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
These vegan peanut butter blossoms are essential during the holiday season! Enjoy a soft, peanut buttery sugar cookie topped with a chocolate kiss.
- ½ cup + ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened (from a tub, not a stick)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 20 vegan chocolate kisses or mini peanut butter cups
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Create the flax egg by adding 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoon water to a small bowl. Whisk together and rest for 15 minutes.
- After, add ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, creamy peanut butter, vegan butter, flax egg, and vanilla to a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to cream the ingredients together. Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Fold ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Roll the cookie dough into 20 balls. Add ¼ cup granulated sugar to a bowl. Roll each ball in the granulated sugar and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 11-13 minutes. The cookies will appear soft and slightly underdone. They will firm while cooling. After removing from the oven, immediately press a chocolate kiss or mini peanut butter cup into the center of each cookie. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy cookies with a cold glass of almond milk!
- Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container. The cookies should keep for 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan peanut butter blossoms, vegan peanut butter kiss cookies, vegan peanut butter thumbprint cookies
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!