This post may contain affiliate links. Read the affiliate disclosure here.
This vegan cashew sour cream is a smooth, creamy, tangy spread. It requires just 5 ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes. You won’t even be able to tell it’s dairy-free. Enjoy it on vegan chili, sandwiches, burrito bowls, salads, and more!
What is vegan sour cream made of?
This particular recipe is centered around soaked cashews. This is my favorite way to make vegan sour cream because it creates a deliciously creamy texture! The ingredients include:
- Lemon juice
- Nutritional yeast
- Apple cider vinegar
- Garlic powder
How to Make Vegan Cashew Sour Cream
For the full recipe, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Let’s take a look at the 3 simple steps involved in creating this dairy-free sour cream.
- First, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Second, place cashews in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the cashews. Soak for 20 minutes. After, drain the water.
- Next, add the soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and salt to a high-speed blender. Blend the ingredients together until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
How long does vegan sour cream last?
This vegan sour cream will last for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Be sure to keep it stored in a mason jar or another airtight container. To make the sour cream last even longer, store it in the freezer for up to one month.
- Do not skip the soaking process! You may be tempted to skip ahead and just add all of the ingredients to a blender. However, soaking the cashews is an essential step for achieving a smooth, creamy texture. The cashews will retain the hot water and become plump in size. This is greatly beneficial during the blending process.
- Do not omit the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or nutritional yeast. These are key ingredients that contribute to the sour, tangy, slightly-cheesy flavor.
- What goes well with vegan sour cream? Pretty much any savory recipe! I love adding it on top of my vegan sweet potato black bean chili or vegan tempeh chili. It’s also great in sandwiches, burritos, burrito bowls, salads, and soups. Also, try adding fresh dill to the vegan sour cream for extra flavor.
More healthy vegan dips and spreads:
- Vegan Chipotle Aioli
- Best Guacamole Recipe (Easy & Healthy)
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- Cashew Cream Sauce
- Easy Vegan Pesto
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Green Pea Hummus
If you try this Vegan Cashew Sour Cream, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
Vegan Cashew Sour Cream
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1.5 cups 1x
- Category: Dip, Dressing, & Spreads
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This vegan cashew sour cream requires just 5 ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes. Enjoy it on top of vegan chili, sandwiches, soup, burrito bowls, salads, and more. It’s easy, creamy, and delicious!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Place raw cashews in a bowl. Pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 20 minutes. After, drain the water completely.
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Transfer sour cream to a mason jar or airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.
- The sour cream should keep fresh for 1 week in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 59
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 3.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan cashew sour cream, cashew cream dip
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!
The best go to recipe for sour cream! Use it all the time
Thank you so much, Shannon!
This faux sour cream is yummy!! I will be using this recipe again!!
Thank you, Cindy! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
Can you freeze it?
Hi, Jennet! I have not tried freezing it, but I am sure it would work. Just make sure you let it thaw completely before enjoying, of course!
so. good. I’ve never made sour cream before and I’m glad this is this first recipe I tried, because I’ll never need to find another! I had to sub ACV with red wine vinegar, so I’ll have to try the ‘right’ way next time I make it!
So glad you enjoyed it, Kailey!! 🙂