This vegan sweet potato black bean chili is incredibly delicious, comforting, and filling. The flavor is lightly sweet and spicy + packed with healthy ingredients including sweet potato, black beans, corn, and more. It will be your new favorite dinner recipe!
Has anyone ever prompted you with the question, “If you could live off of one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?” or is that just me? Maybe I’m a major foodie (true) and I love talking about food (also true), but I’ve been asked this question several times. My answer is always, without a doubt, chili.
Growing up, chili was a favorite in my household. I think my adoration for it is partially just a reminiscent thing. I even add sugar because it was my mom’s secret ingredient! But, I also love it because chili is warm and cozy, comforting, and packed with healthy ingredients. I love how versatile it is, too.
Today, I’m bringing you my vegan sweet potato black bean chili. It’s gluten-free, easy to make, lightly sweet and spicy, nutritious, and just all around delicious. I promise you’ll love it!
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
For the full recipe, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Chili is one of the easiest recipes to create. Essentially, it only requires three steps: prepare the ingredients, add them to a stock pot, and simmer for an hour. Boom. That’s it. Nevertheless, I’ll go into a little more detail for any first timers out there!
First, prepare the ingredients by mincing garlic, dicing yellow onion, cubing sweet potato, peeling/chopping carrots, and draining/rinsing black beans. I also prefer to prep the seasonings and spices by adding each measurement to a small bowl.
Now that you have prepped all of the ingredients, it’s go time!
Start by heating a stock pot on medium temperature. Add the oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, then add all other ingredients. Stir everything to combine and bring ingredients to a rapid boil. Reduce heat to medium-low temperature and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
After, serve the vegan sweet potato black bean chili with your favorite toppings. I love adding my easy vegan cashew sour cream (recipe link below), avocado, cilantro, and corn tortilla chips. Trust me when I say this is the best combination. I highly recommend it!
Here are a few tips to perfect this vegan sweet potato black bean chili.
- What are good chili toppings? My absolute favorite way to eat this chili is with my vegan cashew sour cream, avocado, fresh cilantro, and corn tortilla chips. You could also add shredded vegan cheese, lime wedges, and jalapeño.
- I use no salt added black beans and corn. If your canned beans and corn contain salt, you may want to add less salt to the recipe.
- Got leftovers? No problem. In fact, I happen to think chili is best served as leftovers the following day. The flavors have had plenty of time to marinate and it’s super easy to reheat.
- To store leftovers, allow chili to cool down for ~20 minutes before transferring to a container and placing in the refrigerator.
- To reheat leftovers, add chili to a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
More healthy vegan dinner recipes:
- Three Bean Chili
- Vegan Burrito Bowl
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chickpea Curry
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Easy Chickpea Curry
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Taquitos
- Vegan Potato Curry
- Vegan Peanut Noodles
If you try this Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
This vegan sweet potato black bean chili will be your new go-to dinner recipe! Enjoy a warm and cozy bowl topped with vegan sour cream, avocado, and tortilla chips.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, or coconut)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cup corn (~1 can)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Prepare ingredients: dice onion, mince garlic, cube sweet potato, peel and chop carrots, drain and rinse black beans.
- Heat a stock pot on medium temperature. Add oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add all other ingredients to the stock pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring ingredients to a rapid boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally while simmering. The chili may need more or less time depending on the type of pot and temperature of your stove. You’ll know it’s finished cooking when the sweet potato cubes are soft (i.e. easily pricked with a fork) but still intact.
- Serve chili with vegan sour cream, cilantro, and corn tortilla chips.
Allow chili to cool down for ~20 minutes before transferring leftovers to a container and storing in the refrigerator. To reheat leftovers, simply add to a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 502
- Sugar: 23.5g
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 95g
- Fiber: 21g
- Protein: 20g
Keywords: sweet potato black bean chili, vegan chili, sweet potato stew
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!