Birthday Cake Overnight Oats
Birthday cake overnight oats taste like funfetti dessert for breakfast! These cake batter overnight oats are healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. The easy recipe is made with chia seeds, yogurt, cashew butter, maple syrup, and rainbow sprinkles. They are creamy, colorful, and loaded with rich vanilla flavor. If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll love these dessert oats for breakfast on the go!
It’s no secret around here that I love all things funfetti themed. You may have already tried my Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes, Birthday Cake Protein Bars, or Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough. Naturally, I wanted to bring this celebratory flavor straight to breakfast time. The end result? Birthday cake overnight oats!
If you love birthday cake, you’ll adore these dessert oats. Like my Cookie Dough Overnight Oats, this recipe doubles as a meal prep breakfast and a healthy treat. They are ultra creamy, perfectly sweet, and packed with cake batter flavor. What’s more, they’re beautifully decorated with rainbow sprinkles in every bite!
Don’t get things twisted, though. Despite its indulgent flavor, this overnight oatmeal is made with good-for-you ingredients. We’ll use pantry staples like rolled oats, chia seeds, yogurt, cashew butter, and maple syrup. Additionally, you can customize it with your favorite mix-ins, like protein powder and chocolate chips.
These birthday cake overnight oats are:
- Healthy, vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free
- Sweet, creamy, and packed with vanilla flavor
- Quick and easy // a 5 minute meal prep breakfast
- A fun breakfast for birthdays and celebrations
- Great for kids and adults alike
- Reminiscent of funfetti birthday cake!
Ingredients in birthday cake overnight oats
- Oats: Rolled oats are the best for overnight oatmeal. They are perfect for soaking because they have been steamed and flattened. Do not use instant, quick, or steel cut oats.
- Milk: Use your favorite type of milk. It can be non-dairy milk or regular milk. I suggest unsweetened vanilla almond milk or oat milk for the best flavor.
- Vanilla yogurt: Although this ingredient is optional, it creates the best oatmeal consistency. Use non-dairy vanilla yogurt or regular yogurt.
- Cashew butter: This is the best nut butter because it has a naturally sweet flavor. If you don’t have any, you can use almond butter instead.
- Maple syrup: Add real maple syrup in order to keep the oats refined sugar-free. Honey and agave nectar also work well. If you don’t mind added sugar, regular cane sugar can be used.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds expand while soaking in milk, which creates a super creamy texture. Additionally, they are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Vanilla extract: A dash of vanilla is required to create an authentic birthday cake flavor.
- Almond extract: This extract is extremely sweet. It’s a secret ingredient for all funfetti recipes! Only a tiny dash is needed.
- Sprinkles: Don’t forget rainbow sprinkles to create a funfetti appearance.
- Salt: Add a pinch of salt to balance the sweet ingredients.
How to make cake batter overnight oats
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
First, add rolled oats, milk, vanilla yogurt, cashew butter, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt to a jar. Mix the ingredients together. Stir in the sprinkles, then seal with a lid.
Next, store the oats in the refrigerator overnight or at least 4 hours.
The next morning (or whenever you are ready to eat), remove the lid and stir the oats. If desired, add a splash of milk to thin the consistency.
Enjoy the oats directly out of the jar or transfer them to a bowl. Add any toppings of your choosing, like whipped cream, cashew butter, sprinkles, or fresh fruit. Enjoy!
Recipe variations for birthday cake overnight oatmeal
Customize this dessert oatmeal with your choice of mix-ins. Choose from the list below or get creative with your own ideas!
- Protein powder: You can make these birthday cake overnight oats with protein powder. I recommend using vanilla or birthday cake flavored protein.
- Nut butter: This recipe already contains cashew butter, but you can use almond butter instead. Alternatively, use sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
- Cocoa powder: Transform them into chocolate cake batter oats. Add a spoonful of cocoa powder or cacao powder to do so.
- Chocolate chips: Have you ever tried chocolate chip funfetti cookies? If you’re a fan, mix in a handful of chocolate chips. White chocolate chips taste great too.
- Fruit: Sliced banana or berries pair well with these funfetti oats.
- Macadamia nuts: Add chopped macadamia nuts for healthy fats and a crunchy texture throughout.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Are overnight oats good for weight loss?
Yes, they can be. This recipe contains 7 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein per serving. Therefore, it may keep you full and satisfied for hours. Additionally, since oats are a slow-digesting carbohydrate, it’s often a better choice than fast-digesting carbs (like toast or cereal).
Is overnight oats a healthy snack?
Definitely! Given the recipe’s ingredients are healthy, you can consider this a nutritious snack idea.
Why can’t you use water with oats overnight?
I do not recommend water for overnight oats. Simply put, the oats will be thin and watery. If you want a super thick and creamy consistency, use milk and yogurt.
Is 24 hours too long for overnight oats?
No, 24 hours is perfectly fine. Personally, I recommend enjoying the oatmeal within 24 hours. However, you can meal prep these oats and let them sit for 2-3 days.
Is overnight oats healthier than oatmeal?
Typically, they are equally healthy. The answer depends on the recipe’s ingredients.
What is the secret to overnight oats?
The secret to the best overnight oatmeal is a creamy texture and delicious flavor. These birthday cake oats meet both requirements! Be sure to follow the recipe exactly (don’t skip any ingredients) if you want the best results.
How to store funfetti overnight oats
It is best to enjoy these cake batter overnight oats within 24 hours. However, you can keep them stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Tightly seal them in a jar with a lid.
More dessert overnight oats recipes
- Cookie Dough Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- Strawberries and Cream Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Peaches and Cream Overnight Oats
- PB and J Overnight Oats
If you try these Birthday Cake Overnight Oats, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
Birthday cake overnight oats are healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and taste like funfetti dessert for breakfast! This cake batter overnight oats recipe is made with yogurt, chia seeds, cashew butter, maple syrup, and rainbow sprinkles. It’s great for meal prep, for kids, and as a birthday breakfast. If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll love this dessert oatmeal! #overnightoats #overnightoatmeal #oatmeal #oatmealrecipe #birthdaycake #cakebatter #funfetti #mealprep #veganbreakfast #healthybreakfast
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla non-dairy milk or dairy milk
- 1/4 cup vanilla non-dairy yogurt or dairy yogurt (optional, but recommended)
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey, agave, etc)
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sprinkles
- Whipped cream
- Cashew butter
- Fresh fruit
- Add rolled oats, milk, vanilla yogurt, cashew butter, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt to a jar. Mix ingredients together. Stir in the sprinkles, then seal with a lid.
- Store oats in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- The next morning (or whenever you are ready to eat), remove the lid and stir the oats. If desired, add a splash of milk to thin the consistency.
- Enjoy the oats directly out of the jar or transfer them to a bowl. Add any toppings of your choosing, like whipped cream, cashew butter, sprinkles, and fresh fruit. Enjoy!
- How to store: These oats are best enjoyed within 24 hours. However, you can keep them stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Be sure they are tightly sealed with a lid to maintain freshness.
- Toppings: Serve with any of your favorite toppings, like whipped cream, cashew butter, sprinkles, and fresh fruit.
- Nutrition information below is made without toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 19g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: birthday cake overnight oats, cake batter overnight oats, funfetti overnight oatmeal
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!