Chocolate overnight oats are healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and so easy to make! This meal prep breakfast requires just 5 minutes and it’s perfect for busy families. The simple recipe contains rolled oats, chia seeds, dairy-free yogurt, and cocoa powder. The rich chocolate flavor makes it taste like dessert for breakfast!
If eating chocolate for breakfast sounds like a dream to you, this recipe is the perfect excuse to indulge! Chocolate and oats are certainly a winning duo around here. You all seemed to love my classic Chocolate Oatmeal and Chocolate Banana Baked Oatmeal, so I’m super excited to bring you chocolate overnight oats.
These creamy dreamy chocolate oats taste like a delicious dessert, but they’re secretly made with healthy ingredients. The recipe is packed with chia seeds, yogurt, cocoa powder (or cacao powder), and more. With just 5 minutes of prep time the night before, this make-ahead breakfast is ready for you first thing in the morning.
Best part? It’s not exclusively made for breakfast time. You can enjoy it as dessert oatmeal at any time of day! It will give you the satisfaction of rich chocolate pudding, but provide essential vitamins and minerals your body loves. Go all out with chocolate chips and whipped cream on top, or keep it light with fresh berries. There are endless options for toppings and flavors combinations.
These chocolate overnight oats are:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free
- Rich, creamy, decadent, and chocolatey
- Naturally sweetened with maple syrup
- Customizable and kid-approved
- Quick and easy to make // only 5 mins of prep time
- A healthy dessert option for weight loss
Ingredients in chocolate overnight oats
- Oats: Rolled oats should be used for overnight oatmeal. Since they have gone through a steaming and flattening process, they are great for soaking and can be eaten raw. Don’t use steel cut or instant oats for this recipe.
- Milk: Use your favorite non-dairy milk or regular milk. I typically use unsweetened almond milk or oat milk.
- Yogurt: This is an optional ingredient, but it gives the overnight oats a thicker and creamier consistency. Both non-dairy yogurt and regular yogurt work well.
- Cocoa or cacao powder: The rich chocolate flavor comes from cocoa powder. You can also use cacao powder, which is the raw and unprocessed version of cocoa.
- Maple syrup: In order to keep this overnight oatmeal refined sugar-free, we’ll naturally sweeten it with real maple syrup. Other options include honey, coconut sugar, agave nectar, and date syrup.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds absorb liquid and expand while soaking, which helps create a lush texture. Additionally, they are rich in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Cinnamon: A dash of cinnamon adds warmth and it’s a healthy anti-inflammatory spice.
- Salt: A pinch of salt helps the cocoa taste less bitter.
How to make healthy chocolate overnight oats
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
First, add rolled oats, milk, yogurt (optional), cocoa or cacao powder, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt to a jar. Mix the ingredients together, then seal with a lid.
Next, store the oats in the refrigerator overnight or at least 4 hours.
The next morning (or whenever you are ready to eat), remove the lid and stir the oats. If desired, add a splash of milk to thin the consistency.
Enjoy the oats directly out of the jar or transfer them to a bowl. Add any toppings of your choosing, like fresh fruit, peanut butter, chopped peanuts, and granola. Enjoy!
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Can I make chocolate overnight oats without chia seeds?
Yes, you can skip them. However, if you don’t include the chia seeds, I recommend keeping the yogurt. Don’t remove both the chia seeds and yogurt at once.
Can I make chocolate overnight oats without yogurt?
Yes, the yogurt/non-dairy yogurt is an optional ingredient. Keep in mind it creates a thicker and creamier consistency, which makes the oatmeal taste extra delicious!
Are overnight oats better with milk or water?
Although you can make overnight oats with water, I personally think it tastes best with milk. Water will produce thinner and less flavorful oatmeal, while milk makes it richer and creamier.
Can I add protein powder?
Of course! Feel free to add a scoop of chocolate protein powder to make high protein overnight oats. Other fun flavors would work well, like peanut butter or cookies and cream protein powder.
Are overnight oats good for weight loss?
Overnight oatmeal can promote weight loss because it’s a low calorie, high fiber breakfast. Since oats are a slow-digesting carbohydrate, they help you feel full and satisfied longer than fast-digesting alternatives.
Also, this chocolate overnight oatmeal isn’t just for breakfast! Feel free to make it a healthier dessert option instead of brownies and cookies. The decadent flavor will satisfy chocolate cravings at any time of day.
Can I heat up overnight oatmeal?
Yes! Although they are meant to be eaten cold and directly from the refrigerator, you can microwave the oats for 1-2 minutes to enjoy warm.
Best toppings for double chocolate overnight oats
There are so many toppings and flavors to choose from! Read my long list of topping ideas in this Basic Overnight Oats post. For these chocolate overnight oats, I recommend choosing from the following toppings:
- Bananas, strawberries, or raspberries
- Almond butter or peanut butter
- Chocolate chips (I use stevia-sweetened chocolate chips)
- Almonds, peanuts, or pecans
- Coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- Chocolate or peanut butter granola
- A drizzle of maple syrup
How to store them
Overnight oats are best enjoyed within 24 hours. However, you can keep them stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Be sure they are in a tightly sealed jar with a lid.
More vegan overnight oats recipes
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Banana Overnight Oats
- Vanilla Overnight Oats
- Cookie Dough Overnight Oats
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Chocolate overnight oats are healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and easy to make! This dessert oatmeal recipe is made with yogurt, chia seeds, and cocoa powder in a jar. You can add mix-ins like protein powder and peanut butter. It’s a quick meal prep breakfast for kids and busy on the go lifestyles. These oats are a healthy dessert option for weight loss, too! #overnightoats #overnightoatmeal #oatmealrecipes #chocolateoatmeal #cocoapowder #cacaopowder #mealprep #healthybreakfast
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup non-dairy milk or regular milk
- ¼ cup non-dairy yogurt or regular yogurt (optional)
- 1 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey, agave, etc)
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Fresh fruit
- Nut butter
- Chocolate chips
- Cacao nibs
- Add rolled oats, milk, yogurt, cocoa or cacao powder, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt to a jar. Mix ingredients together, then seal with a lid.
- Store oats in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- The next morning (or whenever you are ready to eat), remove the lid and stir the oats. If desired, add a splash of milk to thin the consistency.
- Enjoy the oats directly out of the jar or transfer them to a bowl. Add any toppings of your choosing, like fresh fruit, nut butter, chocolate chips, and granola. Enjoy!
- How to store: Overnight oats are best enjoyed within 24 hours. However, you can keep them stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Be sure they are tightly sealed with a lid to maintain freshness.
- Toppings: Serve with any of your favorite toppings. Read the full blog post for the best topping recommendations.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 14g
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 7.5g
Keywords: chocolate overnight oats, healthy chocolate overnight oatmeal, dessert oatmeal
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!