Butternut squash quinoa bowls are vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, and easy to make. The fluffy quinoa is tossed with savory-sweet roasted butternut squash, crunchy broccolini, kale, and cashew cream dressing. It’s comforting, satisfying, and a perfect meal for the fall and winter season!
Butternut squash is so underrated, don’t you think? Personally, I think this orange squash should get just as much attention as pumpkin. It’s sweet, incredibly healthy, filling, versatile, and pairs well with so many ingredients! It’s safe to say that butternut squash is the star of the show when it comes to these quinoa power bowls.
On most fall and winter nights, I’m craving a warm + comforting dinner that doesn’t require too much effort. Instead of opting for a microwaveable meal (which are usually loaded with sodium and preservatives), I’ve been meal prepping different variations of quinoa salads. This recipe is now my go-to, and my absolute favorite! I know you’ll love it, too.
These butternut squash quinoa bowls are:
- Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and plant-based
- A unique combo of sweet and savory flavors + fluffy and crunchy textures
- Comforting, warming, and satisfying
- Surprisingly easy // minimal ingredients required
- A healthy, wholesome, protein-packed meal
- Great for meal prep, lunch, or dinner!
What ingredients are in this quinoa bowl recipe?
- Quinoa: Quinoa is similar to short grain rice in texture and flavor. However, it’s actually a seed which means these bowls are grain-free! Quinoa is one of the only plant foods that contain a generous amount of all nine essential amino acids. It’s packed with protein, high in fiber, and it’s a great source of iron, magnesium, and B vitamins.
- Kale: Kale is absolutely loaded with nutrients and fiber. It contains calcium, magnesium, and vitamins A, B6, C, and K.
- Butternut squash: Butternut squash is a popular seasonal squash during the fall and winter months. It’s subtly sweet, tender, and packed with vitamin A.
- Broccolini: Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and Chinese broccoli. It has long stems with a tender crunch and mild flavor. So delicious!
- Olive oil: A dash of olive oil coats the roasted butternut squash and toasts the quinoa. I recommend using a high-quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
- Cashew cream: Complete these vegan quinoa bowls with cashew cream dressing on top. It’s savory, bright and tangy, and subtly “cheesy.”
How to make roasted butternut squash
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Roasted butternut squash requires just a few steps. First, add the cubed squash and olive oil to a large bowl. Toss to evenly coat the squash. Next, add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Toss once more to evenly combine.
After, transfer the squash to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until fork-tender.
How to cook quinoa and kale
The quinoa and kale are made with one pot and just a couple ingredients. First, be sure to rinse the quinoa under cold, running water. Drain completely.
Warm a large pot on medium-high heat. Add oil and quinoa. Cook, stirring continuously, for about 3 minutes. Add water and salt. Bring the ingredients to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook (covered) for 15-20 minutes.
After, remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Remove the pot from the heat and toss in the chopped kale. Mix together; the warmth from the quinoa will wilt the kale.
Use vegetable broth instead of water. If you want these bowls to be extra flavorful, you can cook the quinoa with vegetable broth instead of water.
Incorporate your favorite veggies. Although I highly recommend including broccolini in this recipe, various other vegetables pair well with the quinoa, kale, and butternut squash. Feel free to incorporate any of your favorite vegetables. Some delicious options include broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, or red onion.
Don’t forget the cashew cream. My cashew cream sauce works as a tasty dressing for these quinoa bowls. You can prepare it ahead of time and keep a jar stored in the refrigerator.
Meal prep? These butternut squash quinoa bowls are a perfect option for meal prep. Simply allow the bowls to cool before storing in an airtight container. Keep in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
If you try these Butternut Squash Quinoa Bowls, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
These butternut squash quinoa bowls are vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, and easy to make. The fluffy quinoa is tossed with savory-sweet roasted butternut squash, crunchy broccolini, kale, and cashew cream dressing. It’s a healthy, comforting, plant-based dinner for the fall and winter season!
Quinoa and Kale
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3–4 cups chopped kale
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1–2 bunches broccolini
Cashew Cream Dressing
- ½ cup cashew cream sauce
- Cashew Cream: First, prepare the cashew cream sauce.
- Roasted Butternut Squash: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add cubed butternut squash and oil to a bowl. Toss to evenly coat all of the squash. Add garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Toss once more to evenly coat. Spread squash across the baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Quinoa and Kale: Rinse the quinoa under cold, running water. Drain well. Warm the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add quinoa. Cook, stirring continuously, for about 3 minutes. Add the water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook (covered) for 15-20 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Remove from heat and toss in the chopped kale. Mix together; the warmth from the quinoa will wilt the kale.
- Broccolini: While the butternut squash and quinoa are cooking, prepare the broccolini. Add a dash of oil or water to a skillet over medium heat. Add broccolini and cook, flipping occasionally, until dark green and tender (about 5-7 minutes).
- Assemble: Divide quinoa and kale amongst bowls, then top with roasted butternut squash and broccolini. Mix together. Drizzle the cashew cream dressing on top. Enjoy!
- If storing for later, allow the ingredients to cool before transferring to an airtight container. Keep in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days.
- Serving Size: ⅓ recipe
- Calories: 425
- Sugar: 14g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 16g
Keywords: quinoa bowl recipes, quinoa butternut squash kale salad, vegan power bowl
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!