This vegan Thai red curry is cozy, comforting, easy to make, and packed with flavor! Wholesome ingredients like bell peppers, carrots, and coconut milk make this a healthy curry recipe that’s loaded with nutrition. It’s ready in just 30 minutes and best served with rice!
Why buy takeout when you can make homemade curry that’s healthier, tastier, and ready in no time? I’ve shared various vegan curry recipes already, but this one is my new favorite!
This vegan Thai recipe is flavorful, creamy, rich, and comforting. Plus, it’s quite versatile and adaptable; you can toss in any of your favorite vegetables. Additionally, it’s a great option for meal prep because leftovers store well in the refrigerator.
This vegan thai red curry is:
- Vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, and gluten-free
- Cozy, comforting, and perfect for dinner time
- Subtly sweet with a spicy kick
- Made with healthy ingredients and pantry staples
- Ready in under 30 minutes!
What ingredients are in vegan thai red curry?
This vegetable Thai curry is loaded with nutrition. The ingredients consist of whole plant foods that contain no dairy and no gluten. Check out the full ingredients list below:
- Vegetables: I used red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and carrots. During the last few minutes of cooking, I love to toss in some greens (like kale or spinach). Feel free to add any of your favorite veggies.
- Coconut milk: Curry is commonly made with full-fat canned coconut milk. It provides a creamy consistency and rich flavor. Light canned coconut milk works too, but the curry will be thinner.
- Diced tomatoes: I love using diced tomatoes in curry. They pack extra flavor, nutrients, and help to create a vibrant color.
- Thai red curry paste: Thai red curry paste is the key ingredient in this recipe. My favorite brand is Thai Kitchen.
- Garlic, ginger, and onion: These three ingredients help to create a delicious aroma and flavorful recipe.
- Soy sauce: If you’re following a gluten-free diet, be sure to use tamari or coconut aminos instead.
- Coconut sugar: A dash of coconut sugar gives a subtle sweetness that makes this curry all the more delicious.
- Lime: Fresh lime juice is squeezed over the curry just prior to serving.
What veggies go well with curry?
A variety of vegetables pair well with this vegan curry recipe! I used red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and carrots. Other options for vegetables include broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, snow peas, butternut squash, potato, and sweet potato.
What is the best coconut milk for curry?
As the recipe states, you can either use full-fat canned coconut milk or light canned coconut milk. Both varieties are canned, but their main difference is the fat content. Personally, I recommend full-fat coconut milk for homemade curry. However, light coconut milk will create good results and still taste delicious.
- Full-fat coconut milk: Otherwise known as regular canned coconut milk, the full-fat variety is thick, rich, and creamy. It produces more flavor and a creamier consistency.
- Light coconut milk: Otherwise known as lite coconut milk, this variety is a reduced-fat option. It produces a thinner consistency and lighter flavor.
Kaylie’s tips for perfecting this dish
Use red curry paste. I do not recommend using curry powder for this recipe… it’s just not the same! My favorite brand is this Thai Kitchen red curry paste.
Add leafy greens. This is entirely optional, but I love to throw in some leafy greens for extra nutrition. While the curry has about 5 more minutes of cooking, stir in a few handfuls of spinach or kale. It will wilt down and combine with the other ingredients. Since the curry is so flavorful, you’ll barely even notice the greens. This is a great way to sneak more greens into your diet!
Serve it with rice. For the ultimate cozy and comforting bowl, be sure to pair this vegan Thai red curry with brown rice or white rice. Alternatively, you can serve it over quinoa or baked potatoes.
Add sriracha sauce for extra heat. Are you a fan of spice? Drizzle sriracha sauce over your bowl of curry to crank up the heat.
More vegan curry recipesPrint
This vegan thai red curry is easy to make, packed with flavor, and ready in just 30 minutes! Enjoy this healthy curry on its own or serve it with rice for the ultimate cozy and comforting meal.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, or coconut)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (red, orange, or yellow)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2.5 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 14oz can coconut milk (full-fat or light)
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4 cups leafy greens (spinach or kale), optional
- Brown or white rice, for serving
- Sriracha sauce, for serving
- Cilantro, to garnish
- If serving with rice, cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Warm a large pot on medium-low heat. Add oil and diced onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and fragrant. Add minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Add bell peppers, carrots, and red curry paste. Mix together. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, coconut sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Bring ingredients to a boil (increase heat as needed), then reduce the heat and simmer (partially covered) for approximately 15 minutes. If adding spinach or kale, stir in during the last 5 minutes. Once the curry is reduced and vegetables are tender, remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Serve curry over the rice. Garnish with sriracha, cilantro, or any ingredients of your choosing.
- Be sure to vigorously shake the canned coconut milk before opening.
- Nutrition information below reflects just the curry (without the rice).
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegan thai red curry, indian recipe vegan, thai curry
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!