These vegan hot chocolate cookies are the most delicious holiday dessert! Enjoy a rich double chocolate cookie with a gooey marshmallow center and a melted chocolate drizzle. They are perfectly sweet, ultra chocolatey, and ready in under 30 minutes.
Today we are taking a classic wintertime treat – hot chocolate – and bringing it to life in cookie form. Because, well, everything is better when it comes to cookies!
These vegan hot chocolate cookies are my all time favorite holiday treat. They are soft, chewy, and oh so delicious. The gooey marshmallow center and rich cocoa flavor will have you craving more. There are ripples and pockets of melted chocolate in each bite. If you’re a chocoholic, like me, good luck trying to eat just one!
What ingredients are in vegan hot chocolate cookies?
This recipe uses simple ingredients you likely already have sitting in your pantry. Check out the full list below:
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Vegan butter
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Non-dairy milk
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
How to Make Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies
For the full recipe, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Begin by combining softened vegan butter, white granulated sugar, and light brown sugar in a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to cream the ingredients together. After, add non-dairy milk and vanilla extract. Then, cream the ingredients once more.
In a separate bowl, add all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk the ingredients together to thoroughly combine.
Next, fold the dry ingredients (flour mixture) into the wet ingredients (creamed butter and sugar). Mix to evenly incorporate the ingredients. After, fold in the chocolate chips.
Then, scoop the vegan hot chocolate cookie dough into 16 balls. Place onto a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper). Bake at 350 degrees F for 9 minutes.
Remove cookies from the oven. Press a halved marshmallow into the center of each cookie. Bake for an additional 3-4 minutes. After, allow the cookies to cool. Note: they may appear a bit underdone, but this is a good thing! Cookies firm while cooling. The trick to achieving soft and chewy cookies is to slightly undercook them.
Optional: drizzle melted chocolate over the cookies while cooling.
Here are a few tips for perfecting these vegan hot chocolate cookies:
- Use vegan marshmallows. Most marshmallows contain gelatin, which is not vegan-friendly. Therefore, if you follow a plant-based diet, check out these vegan marshmallows.
- Instead of regular chocolate chips, I used half vegan chocolate chunks and half vegan mini chocolate chips. The combination creates ripples and pockets of melted chocolate in every bite!
- Decorate the cookies with a melted chocolate drizzle. Simply melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until the chocolate chips combine. Do not burn the chocolate; melting should only require 2-3 intervals.
- Want to decorate the cookies even further? Sprinkle crushed pecans, cacao nibs, crushed candy canes, or dust cocoa powder on top.
- Store these vegan hot cocoa cookies in an airtight container. They should keep fresh for three days. Also, if you’d like to enjoy the cookies warm, microwave for 5-10 seconds before consuming.
More vegan holiday desserts
- Vegan Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Chocolate Gingerbread Truffles
- No-Bake Pecan Pie Bars (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- No Bake Vegan Turtle Brownies (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Rocky Road Chocolate Bark
- Vegan S’mores Cookies
- No Bake Vegan Brownies
If you try these Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
These vegan hot chocolate cookies are the perfect winter treat! Enjoy a warm double chocolate cookie with a gooey marshmallow center.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips*
- 8 vegan marshmallows, halved
- Optional: melted vegan chocolate (to drizzle)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice vegan marshmallows in half crosswise.
- In a large bowl, add vegan butter, white sugar, and light brown sugar. Use a hand mixer to cream the ingredients together. Then, add nondairy milk and vanilla extract. Cream ingredients together again.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
- Fold dry ingredients (flour mixture) into the wet ingredients (creamed butter and sugar). Mix to thoroughly combine. Then, fold in the vegan chocolate chips.
- Scoop cookie dough into 16 balls. Place on the baking sheet(s).
- Bake cookies for 9 minutes. Remove from oven and press a halved marshmallow into the center of each cookie. Bake cookies again for 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Optional: drizzle melted chocolate over the cookies while cooling. To melt chocolate chips, microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until chocolate combines. Be careful not to burn the chocolate; this should only require 2-3 intervals.
*I recommend using 1/2 cup chocolate chunks + 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 20g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan hot chocolate cookies, vegan hot cocoa cookies, vegan christmas cookies
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!