This vegan frozen hot chocolate is a refreshing twist on the classic holiday beverage we all know and love! It’s rich, chocolatey, and best enjoyed during the winter season. The easy recipe is made with 6 healthy ingredients including plant-based milk, cocoa powder, and pure maple syrup. It’s dairy-free, soy-free, and ready in just 5 minutes. You can choose from a variety of mix-ins and toppings to make it exactly the way you like it!
Need to get your hot chocolate fix but already warm enough sitting beside the fireplace? Celebrating the holidays somewhere sunny and warm? Living Down Under? Fear not! This frozen hot chocolate has come to save you. You can now enjoy a creative, refreshing twist on classic hot chocolate without the heat. It’s everything you love about the traditional beverage (rich, chocolatey, and sweet!) but chilly and frozen. Essentially, it’s like a hot chocolate smoothie or a hot cocoa milkshake.
This recipe is quite similar to my warm and cozy Vegan Hot Chocolate. However, this time we are skipping the warmth and blending each ingredient with ice instead. It all comes together rather quickly, with just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of your time.
This frozen hot chocolate is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and oil-free
- Refined sugar-free // Naturally sweetened with maple syrup
- A guilt-free treat to satisfy your hot chocolate cravings
- Quick and easy // Made in 5 minutes
- Easily customizable, with several options for mix-ins and toppings
- Kid-approved // An easy dessert to make with the family
- A unique twist on a typical holiday drink
What is frozen hot chocolate made of?
- Plant-based milk: You can use any variety of plant-based milk for this recipe, so choose your favorite! Include oat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or any type you enjoy.
- Cocoa powder: I suggest using a high-quality cocoa powder for the best flavor. If you end up using chocolate plant-based milk, only include 2 tablespoon cocoa powder when adding the ingredients to your blender.
- Maple syrup: This frozen hot chocolate is refined sugar-free. Instead, it’s sweetened with real maple syrup. Alternatively, you can use coconut sugar, medjool dates, coconut nectar, or agave.
- Vanilla extract: A dash of vanilla extract balances the rich chocolate.
- Cinnamon: A quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon add a delicious warm flavor. Feel free to include more if you’re a cinnamon lover.
- Sea salt: Only a pinch of salt is needed.
- Ice: It wouldn’t be “frozen” without the ice! Add 3-4 cups to achieve a thick, icy, and refreshing beverage.
How to make healthy frozen hot cocoa
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Frozen hot cocoa is ridiculously easy to make. It requires three simple steps:
- Combine the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the beverage to glasses. Add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Much like regular hot chocolate, there are various ways to switch up the flavor of this frozen holiday dessert. Add the following mix-ins to create a unique twist on the recipe:
- Peppermint: ½ to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Mexican: a generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- Mocha: replace half of the plant-based milk with coffee or add instant espresso
- Peanut Butter: add 2-4 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- Caramel: add 2-4 tablespoon caramel sauce
- Pumpkin Spice: add 1-2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Ideas for toppings
You can keep it simple with dairy-free whipped cream or go all out with syrup, candy, and cookie crumbles. Check out the best toppings for frozen hot chocolate below:
- Whipped cream
- Crushed Oreos
- Crushed candy canes
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, or cacao nibs
- Holiday sprinkles
- Chocolate syrup
- Vegan candy coated chocolate or M&M-style candies
- A dash of ground cinnamon
- Crushed nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- Peanut butter, almond butter, or hazelnut butter
More vegan hot chocolate recipes
More vegan holiday recipes
- Vegan Peanut Butter Blossoms
- No-Bake Pecan Pie Bars (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Snickerdoodle Cookies
- No Bake Turtle Brownies (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Oatmeal Cream Pies
If you try this Vegan Frozen Hot Chocolate, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
This vegan frozen hot chocolate is a refreshing twist on the classic holiday beverage! It’s rich, chocolatey, and so easy to make. The healthy recipe is made in 5 minutes with a handful of ingredients, like plant-based milk, cocoa, and maple syrup. It’s dairy-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free. Choose from a variety of mix-ins and toppings to make it just the way you like it!
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer frozen hot chocolate to glasses. Add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- If you’re using chocolate milk, I recommend reducing the cocoa powder to 2 tablespoon
- Use your favorite type of plant-based milk, including oat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, etc.
- Read the full blog post for topping ideas and recipe variations.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan frozen hot chocolate, hot chocolate smoothie
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!