Say hello to the BEST edible vegan cookie dough! This indulgent dessert is ridiculously delicious, irresistible, and a total crowd-pleaser. It’s super easy to make, ready in 15 minutes, and requires simple ingredients. Enjoy this cookie dough made without eggs, without raw flour, and no dairy. It’s so good, you’ll want to eat the entire bowl!
Cheers to all my cookie dough lovers out there! Let’s be honest, the best part about baking cookies is sneaking a spoonful of raw cookie dough. (Although we’ve always been told not to do this.) Well, now you can finally enjoy an entire bowl with no worries about raw eggs or raw flour! This cookie dough is edible, safe to eat, quick and easy, and incredibly tasty. Enjoy it by the spoonful, roll it into bite-sized balls, or add a scoop to your favorite ice cream.
This edible cookie dough is:
- Vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, and egg-free
- Perfectly soft, sweet, and chocolatey
- Super easy to make // ready in 15 minutes
- Made with simple ingredients and pantry staples
- Non-vegan approved
- A foolproof dessert that’s delicious every time!
What is raw cookie dough made of?
Raw cookie dough is made with the same ingredients as classic chocolate chip cookies. With just 7 basic ingredients, your bowl of dough will be ready in no time.
- Flour: Stick with all-purpose flour for this recipe. If you follow a gluten-free diet, use a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour substitute.
- Vegan butter: I always recommend vegan butter from a tub, also known as margarine, instead of vegan butter sticks.
- Sugar: We’ll use half white sugar and half brown sugar. This combination create the most delicious dough!
- Chocolate chips: Any variety of chocolate works well in this edible cookie dough recipe. I love using vegan mini chocolate chips.
- Vanilla: Don’t forget the vanilla extract! For an even richer flavor, use vanilla bean paste or whole vanilla bean.
- Plant-based milk: Almond, soy, coconut, and cashew milk are all delicious choices. Any variety of plant-based milk suits this recipe.
- Salt: Just a dash is needed to balance the sweet flavor of the other ingredients.
What makes edible cookie dough safe?
This cookie dough is made with no eggs and no raw flour, which means it totally safe to eat! That’s right, it’s not just raw eggs that are an issue when it comes to raw cookie dough. Flour can also contain harmful bacteria, so it isn’t wise to consume flour that has not been baked already.
To safely consume this cookie dough, we’ll bake the flour in order to kill off any potential bacteria. This makes it safe to eat with no worries at all. Baking flour is a super simple process that requires just a few minutes.
How to heat treat flour
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the flour across a large baking sheet. I recommend placing it directly onto the sheet; do not use parchment paper or a silpat. Bake the flour for 6 minutes. After, remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
How to make edible cookie dough from scratch
To view the full recipe and instructions, scroll down to see the recipe card below.
Once your flour has been heat-treated, it’s time for the fun part! Your cookie dough will be ready within minutes. To start, add the softened butter and sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then, mix the plant-based milk and vanilla extract into the batter.
Sift the heat-treated flour over the batter and add salt. Mix together until evenly incorporated. After, toss in the vegan chocolate chips and mix again.
Can I mix cookie dough by hand?
In short, yes. Although I strongly recommend using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, you can also combine the ingredients by hand. An electric mixer is the best option because it properly creams the butter and sugar together. If you need to mix the cookie dough by hand, use vegan butter that is very soft or partially melted.
Is edible cookie dough safe to eat?
This cookie dough sure is! I’m happy to report that you can safely and confidently enjoy this edible vegan cookie dough. Since the recipe is made without eggs and the flour is heat-treated, you do not have to worry about the risks that typically come along with raw cookie dough. Feel free to dig in!
Can you bake edible cookie dough?
I do not recommend baking this cookie dough. The flour has already been heat-treated (partially baked) and the dough does not contain leavening agents (baking soda and baking powder).
This is the one time you’re meant to enjoy the entire bowl of raw cookie dough – so enjoy it! If you’re craving some freshly-baked cookies, make these best ever Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies instead.
What can you add to cookie dough?
Feeling adventurous? Chocolate chip cookie dough is a classic treat that nearly everyone adores. (And for good reason!) However, there are so many other mix-ins you can add to the dough. You can add up to 1 cup of mix-ins to your cookie dough.
10 types of edible cookie dough:
- Triple chocolate: dark chocolate chips, vegan milk chocolate chips, and vegan white chocolate chips
- Cookie monster: chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and crushed Oreo cookies
- Peanut butter lover: chopped peanut butter cups, roasted peanuts, and chocolate chips
- Funfetti: rainbow sprinkles and vegan white chocolate chips
- S’mores: chocolate chunks, mini marshmallows, and golden grahams
- Hawaiian: macadamia nuts, vegan white chocolate chips, and shredded coconut
- White chocolate cranberry: vegan white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds
- Turtle: chocolate chunks, crushed pecans, and vegan caramel chips
- Kitchen sink: chocolate chips, pretzels, and potato chips
- Trail mix: vegan m&ms, raisins, and peanuts
More easy vegan dessert recipes
- No-Bake Cookie Dough Bars (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Vegan S’mores Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookie Dough Balls
- Vegan Snickers Bars
- Vegan Birthday Cake Cookies
- No Bake Turtle Brownies (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups
The BEST edible vegan cookie dough ever! It’s ridiculously delicious, easy to make, and ready within minutes. Made without raw flour, without eggs, and no dairy. Enjoy this indulgent dessert by the spoonful or add it to your favorite ice cream!
- Bake the raw flour: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread flour across a large baking sheet. I recommend placing it directly onto the sheet; do not use parchment paper or a silpat. Bake for 6 minutes. After, remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Create cookie dough: In a large bowl, combine vegan butter and sugars. Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add plant-based milk and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Sift the flour over the wet batter and add salt. Mix together until evenly incorporated, then add the chocolate chips.
- Serve cookie dough in bowls, glasses, or enjoy by the spoonful!
- *It’s very important to bake the flour. Raw flour may contain harmful bacteria, which is why we’ve always been told to not eat raw cookie dough. Baking the flour ensures it is safe to eat. If you want to be extra cautious, use a thermometer to make sure the flour reaches 160-165 degrees F.
- I recommend sifting the heat-treated flour after baking it. Clumps of flour may form when it’s baked in the oven. Sifting the flour ensures there are no clumps inside the dough.
- Store cookie dough in a ziplock bag or airtight container. It will remain fresh in the refrigerator for 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/12 recipe
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 23g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: edible vegan cookie dough, edible cookie dough recipe
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!