This post may contain affiliate links. Read the affiliate disclosure here.
Edible sugar cookie dough is perfectly soft, buttery, and sweet! The quick and easy recipe is safe to eat since it’s made with heat treated flour and without eggs. It’s vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free friendly. This raw sugar cookie dough makes a delicious holiday dessert, but you can also enjoy it all year long. Serve it for one by the spoonful or add it to other treats, like ice cream sundaes and cake!
When it comes to desserts, there is nothing I love more than raw cookie dough. If you’re like me, you can’t help but sneak a spoonful (or two) before baking it in the oven!
In order to satisfy my raw-cookie-dough-eating cravings in a safe way, I’ve created several edible cookie dough recipes. You may have already tried my Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough or Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough.
What makes this edible sugar cookie dough different? (And, dare I say, the best flavor yet?) It has a super soft, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth texture and perfectly sweet flavor. It’s lighter, creamier, and made entirely with white sugar. Additionally, the one bowl recipe is made with pantry staples like flour, butter, sugar, and vanilla. From start to finish, it’s ready in 20 minutes or less.
This edible sugar cookie dough was made for the holiday season, but you can also enjoy it throughout the year! Customize it with seasonal sprinkles, stir in some white chocolate chips, or add your favorite nuts and seeds. There are countless ways to spruce it up according to the occasion.
This edible sugar cookie dough is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free friendly, and made without eggs
- Quick, easy to make, and a one bowl recipe
- Made with pantry staples & only 7 ingredients
- Can be pre-portioned for one single serving
- Customizable with your favorite add-ins & mix-ins
- Tastes exactly like Christmas sugar cookie dough!
Ingredients in vegan sugar cookie dough
- Flour: Use plain all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour. For a healthier option, you can use almond flour or oat flour. You will need to play around with the amount in order to get your desired texture. Almond flour has more moisture, so extra flour is required.
- Butter: Butter or dairy-free butter provides the rich, creamy, and buttery flavor. I use Earth Balance vegan butter, but any variety will work for this recipe.
- Sugar: White sugar, also known as cane sugar or granulated sugar, makes the dough deliciously sweet. Do not use brown sugar as that will create a different flavor and texture.
- Milk: Use your choice of milk or non-dairy milk. Since only 2 tablespoons are needed, you can get by with any type.
- Vanilla extract: Add a generous dash for a rich, warm, sweet flavor and aroma.
- Almond extract: Almond extract has an intensely sweet flavor, which is why we’re only using a quarter teaspoon. It makes the dough taste like classic bakery sugar cookies.
- Salt: Salt enhances the other ingredients. Don’t skip it!
How to make edible sugar cookie dough
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
First, heat treat the flour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the flour across a large baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely. If the flour clumps and hardens, break it apart with a spatula.
Then, add softened butter and white sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream together until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Cream together once more.
Next, sift the heat-treated flour over the wet batter to remove any clumps. Add salt. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated.
Lastly, scoop the sugar cookie dough into large rounds or eat by the spoonful. Sprinkle extra sugar on top to decorate. Enjoy!
Ways to eat edible sugar cookie dough
There are endless ways to eat raw sugar cookie dough. In addition to enjoying it straight from the bowl, try the options below.
- Topping: Crumble the sugar cookie dough on top of ice cream sundaes, cakes, and more.
- Blended: Doesn’t a sugar cookie dough milkshake sound delicious? Add a scoop to your blender along with vanilla ice cream. Toss in some sprinkles for a funfetti creation.
- Stuffed cupcakes: Core vanilla cupcakes and fill them with a spoonful of sugar cookie dough.
- Layered: Include a layer of edible cookie dough inside (or on top of) your favorite dessert bars.
- Bars: Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, then press the sugar cookie dough across the bottom of the pan. Slice into bars for a pre-portioned treat.
- Truffles: Create bite-sized balls of sugar cookie dough, then dip them in chocolate or white chocolate. Follow my Sugar Cookie Truffles recipe!
Is raw cookie dough safe to eat?
Since there are no eggs and the flour is heat-treated, this raw sugar cookie dough recipe is indeed safe to eat. Just make sure you bake the flour, which is the first step in the recipe.
Can you bake edible sugar cookie dough?
No, I do not recommend baking this sugar cookie dough. The recipe does not contain a leavening agent, like baking soda or baking powder. Therefore, they will not bake properly.
Craving freshly baked sugar cookies instead? You will love my recipe for soft and chewy Vegan Sugar Cookies. They are one of the most popular desserts on my blog!
More frequently asked questions (FAQ)
How do you spice up cookie dough? This recipe is easily customizable. You can stir in sprinkles, chocolate, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and more. I love this raw sugar cookie dough with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts mixed in.
What kind of cookie dough is edible? Like this recipe, you should only consume raw cookie dough that contains no eggs and heat-treated flour. If the recipe contains eggs, make sure they are pasteurized. This ensures harmful bacteria is destroyed.
What happens if you put edible cookie dough in the oven? Typically, it will not bake properly because it does not contain leavening agents. If you want to make baked cookies, follow a baked cookie recipe instead.
How do you make sugar cookie dough more moist? If you feel like your cookie dough is too dry, simply add a few extra splashes of milk as needed.
How to store sugar cookie dough
Store leftover dough inside a sealed container in the refrigerator. Enjoy it within 5 days. If you would like to store it longterm, keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you try this Edible Sugar Cookie Dough, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This edible sugar cookie dough recipe is perfectly soft, buttery, and sweet! It’s vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free friendly. The easy recipe is safe to eat since it’s made without eggs and with heat treated flour. Serve it for one by the spoonful or add it to other treats, like ice cream sundaes and cakes. It’s a classic Christmas cookie dough, but you can enjoy it all year long! #cookiedough #sugarcookies #sugarcookiedough #christmascookies #ediblecookiedough #vegancookies #holidaybaking
- ½ cup butter or vegan butter, softened (1 stick)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract (optional, but recommended)
- 1 and ¼ cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour, heat treated* (170 grams)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white sugar (for topping)
- Heat treat the flour: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the flour across a large baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely. If the flour clumps and hardens, break it apart with a spatula. (See notes to learn why this step is important!)
- Cream butter and sugar: Add softened butter and white sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream together until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Cream together once more.
- Add remaining ingredients: Sift the heat-treated flour over the wet batter to remove any clumps. Add salt. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated.
- Enjoy: Scoop the sugar cookie dough into large rounds or eat by the spoonful. Sprinkle extra sugar on top to decorate. Enjoy!
- *Why should you heat treat the flour? Raw flour is never safe for consumption. It is important to bake the flour in order to kill off any potential harmful bacteria. Follow the instructions and heat treat the flour before creating the cookie dough. After, be sure to sift the flour to break apart any clumps.
- How to store: Store leftover dough inside a sealed container in the refrigerator. Enjoy it within 5 days. If you would like to store it longterm, keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: edible sugar cookie dough, vegan sugar cookie dough
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!
Leave a Reply