These vegan s’mores cookies are stuffed with gooey marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate chunks. They are soft, chewy, sweet, and so easy to make. It’s a delicious twist on the classic s’mores dessert we all know and love. The one bowl recipe is dairy-free, eggless, and can be gluten-free. Enjoy these cookies for summer, camping, or all year round!
It’s officially summer! And, in my world, that means it’s officially s’mores season. Growing up, summer night BBQs often ended with one too many s’mores. My siblings and I would huddle around the grill (yes, the grill!) and take turns roasting marshmallows over the flames. Pair those roasted marshmallows with a graham cracker + a square of chocolate, and you’ve got yourself a one-of-a-kind treat.
Although I’ve always loved traditional s’mores, I think this cookie recipe is even better than the original treat. This dessert contains all of the delicious flavors you’d get in a s’more: cinnamon graham crackers, gooey marshmallows, and pockets of melted chocolate. They were gone in an embarrassingly short amount of time!
These vegan s’mores cookies are:
- Vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, and egg-free
- Stuffed with gooey marshmallows and melty chocolate chunks
- Perfectly sweet with a subtle cinnamon flavor
- An easy one-bowl cookie recipe
- Ready in just 30 minutes / no chilling required
- Loved by both vegans and non-vegans!
What ingredients are in vegan marshmallow cookies?
Here are some of the key ingredients that make this s’mores dessert reminiscent of the classic treat!
- All-purpose flour: Otherwise known as plain flour, all-purpose flour is the best choice for this cookie recipe. I have not tried it with a gluten-free flour substitution yet.
- Brown sugar: These cookies are made entirely with brown sugar. You can use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar, but I recommend the light variety.
- Vegan butter: Use vegan butter from a tub (also known as margarine). Do not use vegan butter sticks for this recipe.
- Graham crackers: Double check to make sure your graham crackers are dairy-free and do not contain honey.
- Mini marshmallows: Make sure the mini marshmallows are vegan and do not contain gelatin.
- Chocolate chunks: I love using big chocolate chunks in this dessert. Alternatively, you can use traditional chocolate chips or break apart chunks of a vegan chocolate bar. All I know is this: the more chocolate, the better!
- Cinnamon: Don’t skip the cinnamon. It gives the s’mores cookies a subtle cinnamon-y warmth that makes this recipe so delicious.
How to make vegan s’mores cookies
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Start by beating the vegan butter and brown sugar together in a bowl. You can use a handheld mixer or a stand mixer for this. Once the creamed ingredients are light and fluffy, add almond milk and vanilla extract. Beat together once more.
Time for the dry ingredients! Add flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Then, mix in the chocolate chunks and mini marshmallows.
Next, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop the s’mores cookie dough into 8 balls. Bake the cookies on the middle rack at 350 degrees F for 13-15 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow the cookies to rest for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. They will continue to cook out of the oven, de-puff, and firm up. Meanwhile, bake a second tray with the rest of the dough.
Tips and FAQ for perfecting this s’mores dessert
What type of vegan butter is best for cookies?
I’ve noticed that vegan butter from a tub, also known as margarine, creates the best results. I do not recommend using vegan butter sticks because they cause the cookies to spread too much.
Bake cookies on the middle rack only
I always recommend to only use the middle rack of your oven whenever you bake cookies. In my experience, the upper and lower racks lead to uneven baking. If you do this, the cookies often end up burnt and crispy. Be patient, bake the cookies one tray at a time, and stick with the middle rack. Trust me, it’s worth it!
When should cookies come out of the oven?
Timing is everything when it comes to achieving soft and chewy cookies. Here’s my biggest tip: cookies should be removed from the oven while they still appear puffy and underdone. Seriously – the centers should appear practically raw and unbaked!
But, aren’t they going to be too soft and gooey then? Nope! Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and let the cookies continue to rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. They will continue to cook because the baking sheet is still hot; the cookies will de-puff and firm up. The end result? Perfectly baked + super soft and chewy cookies! I bake these vegan s’mores cookies for approximately 14 minutes.
Are marshmallows vegan?
Not all marshmallows are vegan-friendly. The most popular brands contain gelatin, which is an animal-derived ingredient. If you follow a vegan diet, be sure to use gelatin-free marshmallows! I love the Dandies brand and Trader Joe’s brand.
Are graham crackers vegan?
Graham crackers typically contain honey, and strict vegans do not consume this ingredient. Instead, I use the Kinnikinnick Foods vegan graham crackers.
Other s’mores desserts
More vegan cookie recipes
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Trail Mix Cookies
- Vegan Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Monster Cookies
- Vegan Birthday Cake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies
These vegan s’mores cookies are soft, chewy, and the BEST dessert for summertime! They are stuffed with gooey marshmallows, chocolate chunks, and a cinnamon graham cracker crumble.
- ½ cup vegan butter (from a tub, not butter sticks)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or GF flour), measured correctly (see notes)
- ½ cup finely crushed vegan graham crackers
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup chocolate chunks
- ¾ cup vegan mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add 5 graham crackers to a sealed ziplock bag. Use the bottom of a cup to crush the graham crackers until they are finely crumbled.
- Add vegan butter and brown sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer, cream the ingredients together. Add almond milk and vanilla extract. Beat together once more.
- Add the flour, finely crushed graham crackers, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to the bowl. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Then, add the chocolate chunks and mini marshmallows. Mix together once more.
- Scoop the s’mores cookie dough into 8 balls and transfer onto the baking sheet. Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes on the middle rack in your oven. The cookies should still appear puffy and under-baked when you remove them from the oven. Allow the cookies to continue resting on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. During this time, they will de-puff and firm up.
- Meanwhile, scoop the rest of the s’mores cookie dough into 8 balls and repeat the baking process.
- To correctly measure flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level off any excess with a flat object (like the back of a knife). Do not scoop or pack flour into the measuring cup. I recommend measuring flour with a food scale which would be 180g for this recipe.
- For perfectly baked cookies, read my tips section in the blog post.
- For gluten-free cookies, I recommend using a 1:1 gluten-free baking flour that contains xanthan gum.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container to maintain freshness. They will keep for 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 21g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan smores cookies, vegan marshmallow cookies
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!