These crispy baked french fries are SO easy to make and surprisingly healthy! With just three ingredients, you can bake any potato into homemade oven fries that everyone will love. Add your favorite seasonings – like garlic, onion, and chili powder – to crank up the flavor. Plus, there’s even an option to make crispy fries without oil. Let’s dig in!
Seriously, what’s better than fries? There’s a reason french fries are one of the most popular and widely-adored sides. They are so dang addictive and irresistibly delicious. However, we all know fries aren’t the healthiest thing in the world – especially when ordered from a fast food joint. This got me thinking… is there a way to enjoy the flavor and texture of french fries without all the excess oil from deep-frying? Well, thankfully, there is!
This is where homemade oven baked fries come to the rescue. They are golden and crispy on the outside, yet soft and pillow-y on the inside. We’ll use a small amount of high-quality oil rather than frying the spuds in a boatload of vegetable oil (which is usually the case). Plus, you can coat them in various herbs and spices to create the perfect flavor for your tastebuds.
These crispy baked french fries are:
- Super easy to make
- Healthy / Baked instead of fried
- Made with three ingredients
- Versatile (add your favorite herbs & spices!)
- Can be sliced into thin shoestrings or thick wedges
- The perfect dipper for any condiment
What ingredients are in homemade french fries?
These easy oven fries are made with three ingredients: potatoes, oil, and seasoning.
- Potatoes: Russet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes are the best for making french fries at home. Both are rich in potassium, vitamin C, folate, and vitamin B6.
- Oil: Use extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil. Personally, I recommend olive oil.
- Seasoning: You can stick with just salt and pepper or use a variety of spices and herbs. I love to use a blend of garlic, onion, chili powder, and chipotle powder. Other delicious options include basil, rosemary, and smoked paprika.
How do you make crispy baked french fries from scratch?
For the full recipe, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
First, rinse and scrub the potatoes. Then, slice the potatoes into 1/2-inch french fries.
Next, add the fries to a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 10 minutes, then drain the water and pat the fries dry with a towel. Note: This helps remove the starch, which ensures a crispy texture.
Drizzle oil over the bowl. Use clean hands to evenly coat all of the fries. Then, add seasonings of your choosing. Use clean hands, again, to evenly coat all french fries.
Finally, line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Spread french fries across the pan in a single layer. To ensure crispy baking, do not overlap the fries. Bake at 425 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes, tossing halfway through.
How to make french fries in the oven without oil
So, you’re following a strict oil-free diet, eh? No problem. You can easily bake french fries without oil – just omit it from the recipe. However, if you want to achieve a truly crispy exterior, do not skip the soaking process. Soaking potatoes in cold water helps to remove the starch. This ensures even, crispy baking later on (especially if you aren’t using any oil!). Soak the sliced potatoes for at least 10 minutes, then drain the water. Pat them dry with a paper towel before coating with spices.
What can you use to season fries?
I don’t know about you, but I like my french fries to have FLAVOR! Sure, salt and pepper are nice… but chili powder, garlic, onion, and chipotle powder? So good! Here are some tasty ways to season fries:
- Spices: smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, onion, chili powder, chipotle powder
- Herbs: basil, rosemary, oregano, dill, parsley, and cilantro
Why do my french fries turn out soggy?
There are a few possible reasons your fries are becoming soggy.
- Do not overcrowd the pan. Be sure your fries are spaced out in a single layer across the baking sheet.
- Bake at a high temperature. I recommend baking them at 425 degrees F.
- Use oil. Unless you are following a strict oil-free diet, always coat the potatoes in at least a dash of oil. It really makes a difference and helps to create a crispy, golden exterior.
- Serve on a plate. Have you ever ordered a deep basket of crispy fries only to find the bottom half totally soggy? Yeah, I’ve been there. If you serve your fries spread on a plate, this issue is less likely to happen.
Ways to eat french fries
Here are my top five favorite ways to serve fries:
- Plain with condiments: ketchup, vegan spicy mayo, guacamole, BBQ sauce, aioli, hot sauce, sriracha… you name it!
- Chili cheese fries: top them with chili and vegan nacho cheese. Follow my vegan chili cheese fries recipe!
- Animal style: coat the fries with vegan cheese, thousand island dressing, and caramelized onions
- Nacho fries: top with vegan nacho cheese, black beans, pico de gallo, sliced jalapeño, and guacamole
- Dessert style: use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top
More vegan recipes with potatoes:
- Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
- Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chickpea Curry
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Potato Curry
If you try these Crispy Baked French Fries, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
These crispy baked french fries are so easy to make! Add your favorite seasonings – like garlic, onion, and chili powder – to crank up the flavor. It’s a tasty appetizer, side, or great for sharing with friends.
- 5 large russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, or coconut)
- 2 tbsp seasoning of your choosing*
- 1.5 tsp garlic granules
- 1.5 onion granules
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Rinse and scrub the potatoes.
- Slice potatoes into 1/2-inch fries. Add fries to a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for at least 10 minutes. After, drain the water and dry the fries with a towel.
- Add fries to a bowl. Drizzle oil over the bowl and use clean hands to evenly coat all of the fries. Add seasoning and use clean hands, again, to evenly coat all fries.
- Spread fries across both baking sheets in a single layer. Bake for 35-45 minutes, tossing halfway through, or until golden and crispy.
- *Use up to 2 tbsp seasonings of your choosing. You can stick with just salt and pepper or create a blend of different spices and herbs. Alternatively, use my recommend seasoning blend!
- Do not skip the soaking process. Soaking sliced potatoes in water helps to remove the starch. This ensures a crispy exterior once baked.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: crispy baked french fries, oven baked fries
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!