These vegan chili cheese fries are the BEST healthy comfort food! Enjoy a bed of crispy homemade french fries smothered in spicy chili and zesty nacho cheese sauce. They are easy to make, packed with flavor, and oh so delicious!
Wait a minute, chili cheese fries can be healthy? Yup, they absolutely can be! These healthy chili cheese fries are made with nutritious, whole food ingredients. It’s a totally guilt-free recipe, but it tastes like an indulgent cheat meal.
First, we’ll bake homemade french fries til they’re golden and crispy. Then, we’ll smother them in spicy chili and vegan nacho cheese sauce. Get ready – these will be a new favorite in your household!
These vegan chili cheese fries are:
- Plant-based, meat-free, vegetarian, dairy-free, and gluten-free
- Comforting, satisfying, and packed with flavor
- Made with simple + healthy ingredients
- Easy to make and ready in one hour
- A tasty appetizer for parties and pot lucks
- Great for sharing with friends & family!
How to make vegan chili cheese fries
Prepare the easy vegan bean chili
This one-pot chili recipe requires just a few steps:
- Heat the oil and diced onion in a large pot. Sauté onion until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add spices, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, and coconut sugar. Mix to combine.
- Bring ingredients to a rapid boil. Reduce heat and simmer (partially covered) for 35-45 minutes.
Prepare the french fries
For the french fries, you can use frozen fries and follow the package instructions. Alternatively, create these homemade crispy baked french fries. They are easy to make and so delicious!
- Scrub potatoes clean.
- Slice potatoes into fries and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cover fries with cold water. Soak for 10 minutes. Drain water and pat fries dry with a paper towel.
- Coat fries in oil.
- Coat fries in seasoning.
- Bake french fries at 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Prepare the nacho cheese sauce
While the chili and french fries are cooking, prepare the easy vegan nacho cheese!
- Add cashews to a bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain water.
- Add cashews, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, plant-based milk, lemon juice, jalapeño slices, and seasoning to a blender. Blend til smooth and creamy.
Pro tip: If you have a high-speed blender, blend the nacho cheese on high for 2 minutes just before serving over the chili cheese fries. It will be piping hot and ready to enjoy. Otherwise, you can heat it in on the stove or in the microwave. If using the microwave, cook for 25 seconds and then give it a good stir.
How to serve vegan loaded fries
Now for the best part! It’s time to assemble these healthy chili cheese fries.
The process is pretty self-explanatory: divide the crispy baked fries onto serving plates, cover with the chili, and liberally drizzle the nacho cheese sauce on top. To garnish, sprinkle cilantro or diced jalapeño over everything.
Short on time? Instead of creating the fries from scratch, you can use 1-2 bags of frozen french fries. Additionally, you can replace the chili recipe with 2-3 cans of your favorite vegan chili. Although I recommend following the exact recipe, these swaps will help you achieve similar results with less time and effort.
How else can you serve chili and cheese sauce? You can serve the vegan chili + nacho cheese sauce over tortilla chips, baked potatoes, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and vegan hot dogs.
More easy vegan appetizer recipesPrint
Vegan chili cheese fries are healthy, easy to make, and packed with flavor! Enjoy these homemade crispy baked french fries smothered in bean chili and nacho cheese sauce.
- 1 recipe crispy baked french fries (or 4–5 cups frozen fries)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 recipe vegan nacho cheese
- Chili: In a large pot, heat the oil and onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, chili powder, coconut sugar, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Mix to combine. Bring ingredients to a rapid boil, then reduce heat and simmer (partially covered) for 35-45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Fries: While the chili is cooking, prepare the french fries. Use frozen fries and follow the package instructions, or follow the homemade french fries recipe here.
- Nacho cheese: While the chili and fries are cooking, prepare the nacho cheese. Follow the recipe here.
- Assemble: Divide baked french fries onto serving plates. Cover fries with the chili and drizzle the nacho cheese sauce on top. For garnish, add cilantro or diced jalapeño. Enjoy!
- You will likely only use 1/2 of the vegan nacho cheese sauce recipe. Save leftovers and enjoy it with tortilla chips, tacos, burritos, burgers, sandwiches, and more!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 571
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 79g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 19g
Keywords: vegan chili cheese fries, vegan loaded fries
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!