No-Bake Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars
No-Bake Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars, also known as Caramel Slice or Caramel Squares, are a delicious layered dessert! The shortbread cookie crust is topped with a gooey caramel center and rich chocolate topping. This recipe is a healthier take on the original Scottish treat, made without condensed milk and no refined sugar. These dessert bars are vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, and keto-friendly. Made with 7 ingredients and secretly healthy!
If you are a lover of chocolate and caramel, this is the perfect treat for you! Millionaire shortbread bars contain these two mouthwatering flavors plus a crumbly shortbread crust. Think: Twix candy bars in a fresher, softer, homemade form.
This dessert is so rich and sweet – anyone who tries it will be totally surprised to find out it’s actually quite healthy. We’ll use wholesome ingredients, like almond flour, nut butter, and real maple syrup, instead of processed ingredients. The bars come together pretty simply, as each layer takes just 5 minutes to make. Instead of baking each layer, this dessert is stored in the freezer to chill. There is no oven needed for this easy no-bake dessert!
These millionaire shortbread bars are:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, and refined sugar-free
- Made with 7 ingredients
- A low carb dessert
- Can be adapted into a keto-friendly dessert
- Great for sharing with friends for holidays, birthdays, and celebrations!
What are millionaire shortbread bars?
Millionaire shortbread bars are a Scottish treat also known as caramel slice, caramel shortbread, and caramel squares. This popular dessert bar contains three layers: a shortbread crust, caramel center, and chocolate topping.
The typical millionaire shortbread recipe is made with unhealthy ingredients, like sweetened condensed milk, flour, eggs, and refined sugar. However, this recipe is a healthy twist on the original. It contains wholesome, plant-based ingredients. Not only is it a no-bake dessert, it also contains no refined sugar, no flour, no eggs, and no condensed milk.
Ingredients in vegan millionaire shortbread bars
- Almond flour: Almond flour is made with blanched ground almonds. It’s naturally gluten-free and packed with nutrients. In particular, it’s rich in vitamin E and manganese.
- Nut butter: You may use any type of nut butter for this recipe, but I recommend peanut butter or almond butter. Other options include cashew butter, tahini, and sunflower seed butter.
- Coconut oil: Use refined coconut oil for a flavorless and odorless option. If you don’t mind a subtle coconutty flavor, you can use unrefined coconut oil.
- Maple syrup: This dessert recipe is refined sugar-free. Instead, it’s naturally sweetened with real maple syrup.
- Chocolate chips: Melted chocolate chips are used for the rich chocolate topping.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract is included in the vegan caramel recipe.
- Salt: A pinch of salt always makes a difference in sweet treats.
How to make these no-bake chocolate caramel shortbread bars
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Prepare the no-bake shortbread crust
First, line a square baking dish (7×7 or 8×8) with parchment paper. This will help you easily remove the bars from the baking dish later on, so don’t skip this part!
In a bowl, combine almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Mix together until dough forms. Transfer the dough to the baking dish. Using a spatula or clean hands, press the dough across the base of the dish in an even layer. Freeze for 10 minutes while you prepare the caramel layer.
Prepare the vegan caramel recipe
Combine the nut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt in a bowl. Mix together until smooth.
Next, remove the baking dish from the freezer. Spread the caramel across the shortbread in a smooth layer. Return baking dish to the freezer for 10 minutes.
Melt vegan chocolate in the microwave
Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until chocolate chips are melted. Do not burn the chocolate – this should only require 2 or 3 intervals.
Then, spread the melted chocolate over the caramel in a smooth layer. Return to the freezer for 5 minutes or until the chocolate sets.
After the chocolate sets, slice the millionaire shortbread into 16 bars. Enjoy!
Pro tip: to get perfect, clean-cut slices, run your knife under hot water for 10 seconds. Then, use a paper towel to wipe the knife dry. Immediately slice the bars.
Freezing vegan millionaire’s shortbread bars
Got leftovers? Store these dessert bars in a sealed, airtight container. They can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If freezing, let the bars dethaw for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
How to make these caramel slice bars keto friendly
This millionaire shortbread can easily be enjoyed as a keto dessert. Many of the ingredients are already keto-friendly, such as almond flour, nut butter, and coconut oil. If you are following a strict keto diet, be sure to use keto maple syrup and keto chocolate chips. In other words, choose sugar-free or low-carb brands.
I love using stevia-sweetened chocolate chips and stevia-sweetened maple syrup. Since the texture and consistency of keto maple syrup can vary between brands, you may need to slightly adjust the amount of almond flour in the shortbread crust recipe.
How to make them paleo friendly
Great news! All of the ingredients in this dessert recipe are already paleo-friendly. However, make sure you use almond butter instead of peanut butter. Since peanuts are technically legumes, peanut butter is not compliant with a paleo diet.
If you try these No-Bake Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
No-Bake Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars are also known as Caramel Slice or Caramel Squares. This delicious dessert contains three layers: a crumbly shortbread crust, gooey caramel center, and rich chocolate topping. It’s a healthier twist on the original Scottish treat, made without condensed milk and no refined sugar. They are secretly healthy, dairy-free, paleo, and keto-friendly!
- 2 cups almond flour*
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil**
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup nut butter (such as peanut or almond)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil**
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Prepare baking dish: Line a square baking dish (7×7 or 8×8) with parchment paper.
- Prepare shortbread crust: Add almond flour, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt to a bowl. Mix together until dough forms. Transfer dough to the baking dish. Using a spatula or clean hands, press the dough across the base of the dish in an even layer. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the caramel layer.
- Prepare caramel layer: Add nut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt to a bowl. Mix together until combined. Remove baking dish from the freezer. Spread caramel across the shortbread layer. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare chocolate layer: Remove baking dish from the freezer. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until chocolate chips are melted. Do not burn the chocolate. This should only require 2 or 3 intervals. After, pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer. Spread in a smooth layer. Place baking dish in the freezer for 5 minutes or until the chocolate sets.
- Slice: Once the chocolate sets, lift the parchment paper out of the baking dish to remove the bars. Slice into 16 squares. Enjoy!
*I recommend using superfine blanched almond flour. I love Bob’s Red Mill Superfine Almond Flour.
**For the shortbread crust and caramel layer, use melted coconut oil. To melt coconut oil, microwave it for 30 seconds. Then, measure and proceed with the recipe instructions.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: no-bake vegan millionaire shortbread bars, chocolate caramel slice
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!