No-Bake Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars are also known as Caramel Slice or Caramel Squares. This delicious dessert contains three layers: a crumbly shortbread crust, gooey caramel center, and rich chocolate topping. It’s a healthier twist on the original Scottish treat, made without condensed milk and no refined sugar. They are secretly healthy, dairy-free, paleo, and keto-friendly!
- 2 cups almond flour*
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil**
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup nut butter (such as peanut or almond)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil**
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Prepare baking dish: Line a square baking dish (7×7 or 8×8) with parchment paper.
- Prepare shortbread crust: Add almond flour, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt to a bowl. Mix together until dough forms. Transfer dough to the baking dish. Using a spatula or clean hands, press the dough across the base of the dish in an even layer. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the caramel layer.
- Prepare caramel layer: Add nut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt to a bowl. Mix together until combined. Remove baking dish from the freezer. Spread caramel across the shortbread layer. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare chocolate layer: Remove baking dish from the freezer. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until chocolate chips are melted. Do not burn the chocolate. This should only require 2 or 3 intervals. After, pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer. Spread in a smooth layer. Place baking dish in the freezer for 5 minutes or until the chocolate sets.
- Slice: Once the chocolate sets, lift the parchment paper out of the baking dish to remove the bars. Slice into 16 squares. Enjoy!
*I recommend using superfine blanched almond flour. I love Bob’s Red Mill Superfine Almond Flour.
**For the shortbread crust and caramel layer, use melted coconut oil. To melt coconut oil, microwave it for 30 seconds. Then, measure and proceed with the recipe instructions.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: no-bake vegan millionaire shortbread bars, chocolate caramel slice