Mocha energy balls are a quick, healthy, and easy no-bake snack recipe! This lightly-caffeinated treat is a delicious way to fuel your day. They are made with 7 ingredients including almonds, medjool dates, and cocoa powder. Whether you’re facing a long study session or busy work schedule, give yourself an energy boost with this bite-sized snack. The unique combination of sweet chocolate and smoky coffee will have you craving more!
As we approach the back-to-school season, we cannot forget about the most important part. No, it’s not the school supplies, the new backpack, or the hefty textbooks. Instead, it’s all about the STUDY SNACKS. (I mean, is anyone surprised by this statement? You are talking to a foodie here!)
These mocha energy balls are the perfect afternoon snack, midday pick-me-up, or study companion to earn straight A’s. Since they are caffeinated, you’ll be buzzing with energy to power through all of your classes. This treat is especially delicious alongside a morning cup of coffee or mug full of tea. If you’re a busy parent, this just might be the recipe you need to endure those long weekdays!
These coffee energy balls are:
- No-bake, vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free
- Soft, chewy, sweet, and nutty
- Made with 7 healthy ingredients
- Quick, easy, and ready in 10 minutes
- Refined sugar-free // naturally sweetened with dates and maple syrup
- Freezer-friendly and convenient for meal prep
What is mocha flavor?
The term “mocha” is a shortened version of “caffè mocha,” which refers to a warm chocolate-flavored coffee. The beverage was named after Mocha, Yemen, where the early coffee trade was centered!
Nowadays, this delicious coffee + chocolate pairing is featured in all sorts of goodies. You can find mocha-flavored cookies, cakes, brownies, ice cream, and so much more. Mocha treats are usually sweet like chocolate but smoky like coffee. Anything that uses these two ingredients will likely use the term “mocha” in its title.
What are mocha energy balls made of?
- Coffee almonds: I used coffee-soaked almonds to achieve the mocha flavor. If you don’t have access to coffee almonds, you can use 1 cup raw almonds + 1 teaspoon instant coffee.
- Dates: Medjool dates are a great way to naturally sweeten recipes without added sugar. Remember to remove the pits before adding them to your food processor.
- Almond butter: Use your favorite creamy almond butter. Natural varieties with a runny consistency work best. You can also use peanut butter or cashew butter.
- Cocoa powder: As mentioned, the term “mocha” refers to a mixture of coffee and chocolate. To add a rich chocolate flavor, use cocoa powder or cacao powder.
- Maple syrup: Real maple syrup further sweetens the energy bites.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract is a delicious balance to the rich flavors of cocoa and coffee. Don’t skip it.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances all of the other flavors.
How to make coffee energy balls
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
First, add all ingredients to a food processor. This includes coffee almonds (or raw almonds + instant coffee), medjool dates, almond butter, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt.
Next, process the ingredients until an evenly crumbled, sticky mixture is formed. You should be able to pinch the dough together with your hands. If it is too dry, add an extra medjool date or a small dash of maple syrup.
After, use clean hands to roll the dough into bite-sized balls. Enjoy!
No coffee almonds? As mentioned earlier, if you do not have coffee-soaked almonds, use raw almonds and add 1 teaspoon instant coffee to the recipe.
Add chocolate chips. If you are a chocolate lover, press mini chocolate chips into the balls after forming them.
Decorate the energy balls. Roll them in shredded coconut, cocoa powder, hemp seeds, or chia seeds. This not only decorates the balls, but it also adds nutrients.
How to make them caffeine-free: If you are not a fan of coffee or you’re making these energy balls for kids, simply use raw almonds. The end result will be a sweet chocolate treat that does not contain caffeine or coffee flavor.
How to store mocha energy bites
This no-bake snack should be stored in a sealed container. Keep them at room temperature or inside the refrigerator, where they will last for 5-7 days. They are also freezer-friendly. For longterm storage, keep them inside the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to dethaw them for several minutes before enjoying.
More energy balls with dates
- Chocolate Coconut Energy Balls
- Almond Butter Energy Balls
- Cinnamon Roll Energy Balls
- Turtle Energy Balls
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Oatmeal Cookie Dough Balls
- Birthday Cake Energy Balls
Mocha energy balls are no-bake, healthy, vegan, and gluten-free. This caffeinated snack is the perfect way to fuel your day. It’s a delicious study snack for college or work snack for the office. They’re made with dates, almonds, and cocoa powder. Enjoy these coffee energy balls for breakfast on the go or with afternoon tea! #energyballs #mocha #energybites #coffee #coffeelover #coffeeaddict #snackrecipes #snackideas #caffeine #almonds
- Combine the ingredients in a food processor.
- Process until an evenly crumbled and sticky mixture forms. You should be able to pinch the mixture together with your hands. If it is too dry, add an extra medjool date or a small dash of maple syrup.
- Use clean hands to roll the mixture into bite-sized balls. Enjoy!
- If you do not have coffee almonds, use 1 cup raw almonds + 1 teaspoon instant coffee.
- Store energy balls in a sealed container at room temperature or inside the refrigerator. The energy balls will keep for 5-7 days. For longterm storage, keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 12g
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: mocha energy balls, coffee energy balls, energy bites with dates
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!