Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This chocolate banana smoothie is rich, creamy, and tastes like a healthy milkshake! It’s vegan, dairy-free, and made with no refined sugar. We’ll combine frozen bananas with cacao powder, chocolate hazelnut butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract to create it. Although this beverage can be a nutritious breakfast, it tastes just like dessert!
If you enjoy chocolate milkshakes, this chocolate banana smoothie will be your new favorite beverage! It’s essentially a dessert smoothie that’s secretly healthy for you.
Frozen bananas give it a thick and creamy consistency, almond milk keeps it dairy-free, and cacao powder + chocolate hazelnut butter create a rich chocolatey flavor. You can add various boosters, like spinach, chia seeds, and more. Adding a scoop of protein powder makes it a delicious post-workout treat!
This chocolate banana smoothie is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free
- Rich, creamy, and satisfying
- A quick & portable breakfast recipe
- Tastes like a healthy milkshake
- Kid-friendly & non-vegan approved
- Easily customizable with optional add-ins
- A healthy way to satisfy chocolate cravings
Ingredients in a vegan chocolate smoothie
- Bananas: This smoothie is mainly made with frozen ripe bananas. They act as a natural sweetener and make it super creamy. Bananas are also a great source of potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
- Cacao or cocoa: The chocolate flavor can either come from cacao powder or cocoa powder. Cacao contains more nutrients, a richer flavor, and is less processed.
- Almond milk: Since the recipe is vegan and dairy-free, we’re using almond milk. If you love another type of plant-based milk or consume dairy, feel free to use a different kind. I think it’s great with oat milk or coconut milk!
- Hazelnut butter: Chocolate hazelnut butter is optional, but it gives the smoothie a richer and deeper chocolate flavor. Also, I think it makes the beverage more filling and satisfying due to the healthy fats. You can try it with other types of nut butter, like peanut butter or almond butter. If you follow a nut-free diet, sunflower seed butter is a great alternative.
- Maple syrup: If you want the smoothie to taste even sweeter, add maple syrup. Other options include medjool dates, honey, agave nectar, and coconut nectar.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds a warm, sweet flavor and pairs well with cacao.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the rich chocolate flavor.
How to make a healthy chocolate banana smoothie
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
First, combine chopped frozen bananas, cacao powder or cocoa powder, chocolate hazelnut butter, almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a blender.
Then, blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy. You can add more or less almond milk to reach the desired consistency. Using more almond milk will make the smoothie thinner, while less will make it thicker.
Pour the smoothie into glasses. Add optional toppings, like cacao nibs and granola. Enjoy!
Can I make it a smoothie bowl?
Yes, of course! If you would like to turn this recipe into a chocolate banana smoothie bowl, simply adjust the amount of liquid. I recommend using 1/4 cup almond milk which will give it a thick and creamy consistency.
Afterwards, pour it into a bowl and add all sorts of toppings. I recommend topping it with fresh fruit, granola, and nut butter. Enjoy with a spoon!
What are the best things to add to a smoothie?
Protein powder: Upgrade it to a high protein chocolate smoothie by adding a spoonful of plant-based protein powder. You can use any flavor, but I recommend chocolate or vanilla for the best results.
Greens: Did you know spinach is basically flavorless when blended in smoothies? Add several cups to this recipe for a sneaky way to get more greens in your diet. You can also try kale or arugula. (This is an easy way to get your kids eating more greens, too!)
Sweetener: Many people will find this recipe to be sweet because of the ripe bananas. However, if you’d like to add extra sweetness, you can include maple syrup, medjool dates, or honey.
Yogurt: Yogurt tastes great in chocolate smoothies and gives the beverage a creamier consistency. I suggest adding non-dairy coconut or almond yogurt.
Seeds: Get a boost of healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids by incorporating chia seeds, flax seeds, or hemp seeds.
Maca powder: Maca powder may help balance hormones and it is high in various nutrients, including iron, potassium, and iodine. It has a subtle caramel flavor that would taste delicious with a chocolate smoothie.
Cinnamon: A dash of this anti-inflammatory spice adds warm flavor.
This chocolate banana smoothie recipe tastes like a healthy milkshake! It’s easy, vegan, dairy-free, and made with no refined sugar. It contains frozen bananas, cacao or cocoa powder, and almond milk. You can add smoothie boosters like protein powder, nut butter, and sweetener. You can even secretly add spinach to get your kids eating more greens! #smoothie #smoothierecipe #smoothierecipeshealthy #smoothiesforweightloss #vegansmoothie #healthysmoothierecipes #cacao
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. Feel free to adjust the amount of almond milk as needed. More almond milk will make the smoothie thinner while less will make it thicker.
- Pour smoothie into glasses. Add toppings, like cacao nibs and granola (optional). Enjoy!
- Be sure to use frozen bananas. In order to freeze them, remove the peels and place the bananas in a sealed ziplock bag or container. Store in the freezer where they will keep fresh for up to 3 months.
- If desired, you can add smoothie boosters like protein powder, nut butter, medjool dates, chia seeds, and more. Read the full blog post for tips and ideas.
- Nutrition information below does not include the optional chocolate hazelnut butter and maple syrup.
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 20g
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 6.5g
Keywords: healthy chocolate banana smoothie, vegan chocolate smoothie
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!