Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
This easy vegan cream cheese frosting recipe is made with only 4 ingredients! Simply combine your favorite dairy-free cream cheese, vegan butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl. It’s light, fluffy, sweet, tangy, and made in 10 minutes. Use it for cake, cupcakes, cinnamon rolls, and more!
While you can’t go wrong with classic vanilla frosting, some baked goods are better paired with a cream cheese flavor. Once you learn how to make this homemade Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, you’ll be prepared for those occasions!
This dairy-free cream cheese frosting is light, fluffy, sweet, and has a subtle tangy flavor. It’s super easy to make at home with a stand mixer or a handheld mixer. You only need one bowl and 10 minutes to prepare it. Oh, and as if it couldn’t get any simpler, you just need 4 ingredients! How neat is that?
Additionally, you can prepare this frosting ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. That way, it will be ready to go whenever your baked goods are completed. It makes a wonderful topping for cakes, cupcakes, brownies, cinnamon rolls, and more. Personally, I think it tastes best with carrot cake and pumpkin cake!
This cream cheese frosting is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free
- Quick, easy, and ready in 10 minutes
- Made with only 4 ingredients
- Can be soy-free (with a soy-free cream cheese)
- A great frosting for seasonal baked goods
What is vegan cream cheese frosting made of?
- Vegan cream cheese: While you can use any type of vegan cream cheese for this recipe, there are some options that are better than others. I recommend using the Toffuti brand because it produces the best flavor. Other nice options include Miyoko’s and Kite Hill.
- Vegan butter: Vegan buttery sticks (such as the Earth Balance or Miyoko’s brand) will give you the best results. Stay away from tub butters and margarine spreads when creating homemade frosting. Those often create an oily, runny consistency.
- Powdered sugar: It’s important to sift the powdered sugar before adding it to the bowl. This removes clumps, which ensures the frosting is totally smooth and creamy.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla adds sweetness and a rich vanilla flavor.
- Non-dairy milk: Only use non-dairy milk if needed. For instance, it isn’t necessary for cakes and cupcakes as you’ll want that frosting to remain thick. On the contrary, you may want to thin the consistency if you are using this frosting for cinnamon rolls.
How to make this dairy-free cream cheese frosting recipe
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
First, chill a large mixing bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. The colder it is, the better.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
In my opinion, Tofutti is the best brand for dairy-free cream cheese frosting. It has a smooth, creamy texture and subtle tangy flavor. Other good options include Miyoko’s and Kite Hill.
In order to create thick cream cheese frosting, chill the bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before beginning the recipe. If it’s too runny after preparing it, cover and chill the frosting in the refrigerator to thicken again. Alternatively, beat 1-2 tbsp cornstarch into the frosting.
Yes. You must store this vegan cream cheese frosting in the refrigerator to keep it from spoiling. Do not leave it out for more than 2 hours.
How to store vegan cream cheese frosting
Store this vegan cream cheese frosting inside a sealed container in the refrigerator. Enjoy it within 5-7 days. If you need to save it longterm, keep in the freezer and use within 3 months.
If you try this Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
This homemade vegan cream cheese frosting recipe is easy, dairy-free, and can be made soy-free! It’s light, fluffy, sweet, and tangy. Make it with only 4 ingredients, one bowl, and 10 minutes. It’s a delicious frosting for cakes, cupcakes, cinnamon rolls, and more. I love to pair it with seasonal baked goods like carrot cake and pumpkin cake!
- 1 cup (8 oz) dairy-free cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 cup dairy-free butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1–2 tbsp non-dairy milk (only if needed)
- Chill a large mixing bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. The colder the bowl, the better.
- Add cold vegan cream cheese, vegan butter, and vanilla extract to the chilled bowl.
- Using a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer, cream the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add 1 cup sifted powdered sugar to the bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy. Repeat with the remaining powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. If needed, add 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk to thin the consistency.
- Use immediately, or cover and store in the refrigerator. The frosting will thicken again as it chills.
- How to store: Store cream cheese frosting inside a sealed container in the refrigerator. Enjoy within 5-7 days.
- Cream cheese: I recommend using the Toffuti brand for the best flavor.
- How to thicken the frosting: In order to create thick cream cheese frosting, chill the bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before beginning the recipe. If it’s too runny after preparing it, cover and chill the frosting in the refrigerator to thicken again. Alternatively, beat 1-2 tbsp cornstarch into the frosting.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 38g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: vegan cream cheese frosting, dairy-free cream cheese frosting recipe
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!