Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are an easy, flavorful, and healthy dinner recipe! The baked sweet potatoes are fully loaded with black beans, corn, peppers, pico de gallo, and guacamole. They are vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and packed with fiber and plant-based protein. This Mexican-inspired meal is perfect for busy weeknights and meal prep!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, or coconut)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- Prepare sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick each sweet potato with a fork a few times. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Alternatively, prick each sweet potato with a fork and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare filling: When the sweet potatoes have 10-15 minutes remaining, warm a skillet on medium heat with the oil. Add diced onion and red bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions are fragrant and translucent. Add garlic, black beans, corn, tomato paste, spices, and coconut sugar. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Assemble: Slice the baked sweet potatoes in half. Fill with the black bean, corn, and pepper mixture. Top with guacamole, pico de gallo, a drizzle of vegan sour cream, or any toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
- To make it oil-free: Omit the oil and use 1/4 cup water instead.
- To make it sugar-free: Omit the coconut sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 14g
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes, black bean stuffed sweet potatoes