This post may contain affiliate links. Read the affiliate disclosure here.
Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are an easy, flavorful, and healthy dinner recipe! The sweet potatoes are baked in the oven, then stuffed with black beans, corn, onion, peppers, pico de gallo, and guacamole. They are vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, protein-packed, and made with simple ingredients. Enjoy this Mexican-inspired plant-based meal for busy weeknights or meal prep.
If you thought you already loved sweet potatoes, prepare to be mind blown. These Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes take things to a whole new level! It’s safe to say this isn’t your average sweet potato recipe. After baking in the oven, the potatoes are sliced, stuffed, and topped with various ingredients.
First, we’ll add a savory filling of black beans, corn, red bell pepper, onion, and garlic. This mixture is spiced with a delicious blend of chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, and smoked paprika. After, fresh pico de gallo, creamy guacamole, and a drizzle of vegan sour cream are added on top. You don’t have to stop there, though. Feel free to customize each sweet potato to meet your own tastebuds!
These Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are:
- Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free
- Hearty, wholesome, filling, and satisfying
- Savory and spicy, yet subtly sweet
- Packed with fiber and plant-based protein
- Great for meal prep and on-the-go lunches // an easy make-ahead dinner recipe
- Versatile and customizable with various options for toppings!
Ingredients for Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes: sweet potatoes are incredibly nutritious. They are loaded with vitamin A, C, B6, and potassium.
- Black beans: beans are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, folate, and iron. You can replace the black beans with another variety, like kidney beans or pinto beans, if you would like to.
- Corn: use canned corn or fresh corn.
- Bell pepper: red bell pepper is the best choice for these stuffed sweet potatoes. However, you can always swap it with orange, yellow, or green bell pepper.
- Onion and garlic: include these ingredients for added flavor and savory aroma.
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, smoked paprika, and salt are included.
- Guacamole: enjoy store bought guacamole or make your own at home.
- Pico de gallo: this blend of diced tomato, red onion, cilantro, and lime adds a fresh crunch and brightens the flavor.
- Sour cream: drizzle your favorite vegan sour cream or make your own dairy-free version at home.
How to make black bean stuffed sweet potatoes
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
How to bake sweet potatoes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick each sweet potato with a fork several times.
Bake sweet potatoes for 45 minutes or until cooked through. When the sweet potatoes have about 10-15 minutes remaining, begin to prepare the filling mixture.
How to microwave sweet potatoes
If you are short on time or do not have an oven, you can microwave the sweet potatoes instead. I follow this method quite often – it’s a real time saver! Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork several times. Cover each potato with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 8 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Prepare the black beans, corn, and red peppers
Warm a skillet over medium heat with a dash of oil. You can use olive oil, avocado oil, refined coconut oil, or another neutral variety. Add diced onion and red bell pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onion is fragrant and translucent.
Add minced garlic, black beans, corn, tomato paste, spices, and coconut sugar. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stuff the sweet potatoes
Slice baked sweet potatoes in half, leaving the skin intact. Fill with the black bean, corn, and pepper mixture.
Top the stuffed sweet potatoes with pico de gallo, guacamole, and a drizzle of vegan sour cream. Enjoy!
What are the best toppings for sweet potatoes?
These Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are packed with beans, corn, peppers, onion, pico de gallo, guacamole, and vegan sour cream. You can follow the recipe exactly as it is written, or customize it to fit your personal preference. Check out my recommendations for the best sweet potato toppings below:
- Hot salsa or salsa verde
- The BEST Guacamole
- Jalapeño (fresh or pickled)
- Pico de gallo
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Vegan cashew sour cream
- Corn tortilla strips
- Vegan chipotle aioli
- Fresh cilantro
- A spritz of fresh lime
Is it okay to eat sweet potato skin?
Yes, of course! In my opinion, it’s the best part of the entire sweet potato. Not only are the skins highly nutritious, they also improve the flavor and texture of many recipes. Once baked in the oven, the skin becomes crispy, extra sweet, and caramelized.
Aside from the added flavor, sweet potato skins are full of fiber, antioxidants, and nutrients. If you peel it off or choose to eat around it, you’ll miss out on all those benefits. You can learn more about why I choose to eat it here: Can You Eat Sweet Potatoes, and Should You?
As always, if you plan to eat the outer skin of your potatoes, be sure to thoroughly wash them first. Potatoes are a notoriously dirty vegetable, so rinse them under water while scrubbing with a vegetable brush.
Tips for making the best vegan stuffed sweet potatoes
How to make them oil-free? For a completely oil-free recipe, simply omit the oil while cooking the onions and peppers. Instead, use ¼ cup water and add more as needed.
How to make them sugar-free? The recipe includes a small dash of coconut sugar. If you’re following a no added sugar diet, you can remove it from the recipe.
Preparing this recipe for meal prep? For an easy make ahead meal, store the baked sweet potatoes and bean/corn/pepper mixture in separate containers. Once you are ready to eat, stuff the sweet potatoes with the filling. Reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or in the oven until hot. Add toppings and enjoy!
More vegan Mexican recipes
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- Vegan Burrito Bowl
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Taquitos
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
More healthy sweet potato recipes
- Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Moroccan Stew
- Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chickpea Curry
If you try these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 potatoes 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are an easy, flavorful, and healthy dinner recipe! The baked sweet potatoes are fully loaded with black beans, corn, peppers, pico de gallo, and guacamole. They are vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and packed with fiber and plant-based protein. This Mexican-inspired meal is perfect for busy weeknights and meal prep!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, or coconut)
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup guacamole
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream
- Prepare sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick each sweet potato with a fork a few times. Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Alternatively, prick each sweet potato with a fork and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare filling: When the sweet potatoes have 10-15 minutes remaining, warm a skillet on medium heat with the oil. Add diced onion and red bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions are fragrant and translucent. Add garlic, black beans, corn, tomato paste, spices, and coconut sugar. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Assemble: Slice the baked sweet potatoes in half. Fill with the black bean, corn, and pepper mixture. Top with guacamole, pico de gallo, a drizzle of vegan sour cream, or any toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
- To make it oil-free: Omit the oil and use ¼ cup water instead.
- To make it sugar-free: Omit the coconut sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 14g
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes, black bean stuffed sweet potatoes
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!
Leave a Reply