Vegan roasted red pepper pasta is creamy, spicy, and easy to make! This healthy pasta recipe is great for busy weeknights since it’s made in 30 minutes or less. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free. The roasted red pepper sauce is made with cashews, garlic, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and herbs. The whole family will love this healthy comfort food for dinner! #vegandinner #pasta #pastafoodrecipes #pastarecipe #pastadishes #30minutemeals #pastasauce
- 8 oz pasta of choice (such as penne)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped (12–15 oz jar)
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to make it spicy)
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- Vegan parmesan, for serving
- Red pepper flakes, for serving
- Cook pasta: Cook the pasta according to package instructions. I suggest slightly undercooking it (about 1 minute less than the recommended time) because it will cook further once combined with the sauce later on. Drain the water and rinse the pasta. Set aside.
- Cook onions, garlic, and peppers: Warm a pan over medium-low heat. Add extra virgin olive oil, diced onion, minced garlic, and chopped roasted red peppers. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Create sauce: Combine the sautéed onion/garlic/peppers, vegetable broth, cashews, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, cornstarch, Italian seasoning, salt, and red pepper flakes in a blender. Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Combine pasta and sauce: Transfer the cooked pasta back into the pot or skillet. Pour the sauce on top. Toss together over medium heat until warm. The sauce will begin to thicken as it cooks. Serve and garnish with vegan parmesan, fresh parsley, and red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
- Cook the pasta al dente. Since the pasta will cook further once it is combined with the red pepper sauce, I highly recommend undercooking it at least 1 minute when boiling.
- Salt the pasta water. The best pasta is always boiled in salted water. Add a generous amount as most of it is drained anyway. Two teaspoons is a good amount for 8 oz pasta.
- Don’t forget to garnish it. In my opinion, it is essential to serve the dish with vegan parmesan, fresh parsley, and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes! Other options include dairy-free mozzarella, fresh basil, and toasted pine nuts. I love the Follow Your Heart brand for dairy-free parmesan.
- Nutrition: Nutrition information below includes regular flour pasta since it is the most common. I suggest using chickpea pasta for a high protein and high fiber option.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: vegan roasted red pepper sauce, roasted red pepper pasta