These vegan oatmeal cream pies are the best cookie sandwiches ever! Enjoy a sweet vanilla cream frosting sandwiched between soft and chewy oatmeal cookies. It’s a healthier twist on the Little Debbie dessert, made with dairy-free and gluten-free ingredients.
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick oats*
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten-free baking flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Vanilla Cream Filling
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1–2 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare the flax egg by combining ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Mix together and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Cream for 3-5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the flax egg, molasses, and vanilla extract. Cream together once more until evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Mix together.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop and roll the oatmeal cookie dough into round balls. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown but the center is slightly undercooked. For soft and chewy cookies, I recommend removing them from the oven while they still appear slightly underdone. The cookies will continue cooking, firm up, and de-puff while cooling on the baking sheet.
Vanilla Cream Filling
- While the cookies cool, prepare the vanilla cream filling.
- Add the vegan butter to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter until whipped and fluffy.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat until it is evenly dissolved into the butter.
- Add plant-based milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat together once more. Feel free to add more or less plant-based milk to achieve your desired consistency.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, pipe or spread the frosting across half of the cookies. Top with another cookie to create sandwiches. Enjoy!
- You can keep the cookies at room temperature for 1 to 1.5 hours. Otherwise, store them in a sealed container inside the refrigerator. This prevents the frosting from melting. The oatmeal cream pies taste delicious directly out of the refrigerator, but if you want to warm them up, microwave for just 8-10 seconds.
- Read the tips section of the blog post for further tips and tricks.
Keywords: vegan oatmeal cream pies, vegan oatmeal cookies