Vegan jackfruit tacos are a quick, easy, and healthy dinner recipe! Juicy jackfruit carnitas are used as a meat replacement for these meatless tacos. Serve them with tortillas and all of your favorite toppings. You will impress the whole family with this Mexican-inspired dish!
- 2 cans jackfruit, drained and rinsed (in brine, not syrup)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 8 taco size corn or flour tortillas
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Prepare jackfruit: Drain and rinse the jackfruit in a mesh strainer. Add the jackfruit to a bowl. Cut off the pointy tips of each piece or leave them intact. The pointy tips have a firm and chewier texture than the rest of the jackfruit (most people remove them). Use clean hands or a fork to shred the jackfruit. Do not shred it too much, as it will continue to break apart while cooking. A rough shred is all that’s needed (see photos).
- Cook veggies: Warm a frying pan or skillet over medium-low heat. Add oil and diced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Add minced garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Cook jackfruit: Add shredded jackfruit to the pan. Cook, stirring together, for 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable broth, maple syrup, soy sauce, and lime juice. Mix together, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas: Warm the tortillas in a frying pan, heating each side for 15-30 seconds. This makes them more pliable. You can also warm tortillas in the microwave with a damp paper towel covering them.
- Assemble tacos: Top the warm tortillas with shredded jackfruit and your favorite toppings, like lettuce, pico de gallo, avocado, and sour cream. Enjoy!
- Use canned jackfruit in brine, NOT canned jackfruit in syrup.
- I recommend using street taco tortillas, which are roughly 11 oz in size.
- Nutrition facts include the tortillas with jackfruit, since the toppings vary.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: jackfruit tacos, vegan jackfruit recipes, meatless tacos