Vegan iced oatmeal cookies are soft, chewy, sweet, and easy to make! These old fashioned oatmeal cookies are frosted with dairy-free vanilla icing that sets. The recipe is made with pantry staples like quick oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and molasses. You can even make them gluten-free. This is a copycat Archway cookies recipe and a perfect dessert for the holidays! #oatmealcookies #icedoatmealcookies #icedcookies #frostedcookies #vegancookies #oatmealcookie #holidaycookies
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick oats*
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free baking flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–6 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg. Combine ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Stir together, then set aside for 5 minutes. It will gelatinize and thicken.
- Add the vegan butter, brown sugar, and sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the flax egg, molasses, and vanilla extract. Cream together again until combined.
- Add the quick oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Mix together until just combined.
- Scoop the dough into round balls and transfer to the baking sheet. Gently press the dough with your hands to flatten them a little bit. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven while the center still appears slightly underbaked. They will continue to cook, de-puff, and firm up while cooling.
- While the oatmeal cookies cool, prepare the dairy-free vanilla icing.
- Add powdered sugar, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract to a bowl. Whisk together until smooth. If desired, add extra splashes of non-dairy milk to thin the consistency.
- Drizzle the icing over the each cookie. Set aside until the icing firms up (about 10 minutes). Enjoy!
- How to store: Store these cookies inside a sealed container. If you are serving them the same day of baking, you can keep them at room temperature. Otherwise, keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- How to freeze: If you would like to store them longterm, you can freeze the cookies inside a ziplock bag. I suggest wrapping each cookie in parchment paper so they don’t stick together while frozen. Enjoy within 2-3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 21g
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan iced oatmeal cookies, old fashioned iced oatmeal cookies, frosted oatmeal cookies