The best vegan garlic mashed potatoes recipe! These dairy-free mashed potatoes are creamy, fluffy, buttery, and so flavorful. The easy recipe is made with Yukon gold potatoes, non-dairy butter, garlic, and chives. It’s made with one pot in 30 minutes or less. This vegan holiday side dish is perfect for your plant-based Thanksgiving and Christmas! #mashedpotatoes #potatoes #sidedish #thanksgivingrecipe #christmasrecipe #holidayrecipe #veganrecipes #dairyfreerecipes #sidedishes #holidayrecipes
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes (~10 medium potatoes)
- 1 tsp salt (for boiling)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 5–6 cloves raw or roasted garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 to 1.5 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, diced
- If desired, peel the skin off of the potatoes. Chop potatoes into large chunks.
- In a large pot, add chopped potatoes and salt. Cover by 1 inch with cool water.
- Boil over medium-high heat until the potatoes begin to soften, about 15-20 minutes. You’ll know they are done when they are fork tender (you can pierce the potatoes with a fork and they slide off).
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Let sit for 1-2 minutes to release steam.
- Transfer the potatoes back to the pot. Add vegan butter, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash together. Add non-dairy milk 1/2 cup at a time, using as much as desired, to thin the consistency. Leave them as chunky or as mashed as you would like. After, stir in the fresh chives.
- Serve mashed potatoes immediately or keep warm over low heat until serving, stirring frequently. Garnish with extra vegan butter and fresh chives. Enjoy!
- Garlic: Use either raw garlic or roasted garlic. Keep in mind raw garlic has a spicier, pungent flavor while roasted is sweeter and more mellow.
- How to store: Store leftover mashed potatoes inside a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. It is important to safely store them. First, do not let them sit for more than 2 hours at room temperature. When storing, use a shallow container so they cool evenly with no warm spots. Place the container in the back of the fridge, which is the coldest spot.
- How to freeze: Follow the same instructions as refrigerating, but keep in the freezer for up to 1 year.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vegan garlic mashed potatoes, plant-based mashed potatoes, garlic chive mashed potatoes