Vegan chocolate peppermint cookies are perfect for Christmas! These double chocolate cookies are flavored with a hint of peppermint extract, cocoa, chocolate chips, and crushed candy canes. They’re easy to make, made with one bowl, and ready in 30 minutes. Everyone loves these vegan holiday cookies! #vegancookies #peppermint #christmascookies #cookies #holidaydesserts #christmasdesserts #christmasrecipes #holidaybaking #candycanes #vegandessert
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, slightly softened from a tub*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract**
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (or GF baking flour)
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder, not dutch-processed***
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wet ingredients: In a large bowl, add vegan butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes on medium speed). Add almond milk, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract to the bowl. Cream together once more just to combine.
- Dry ingredients: Add all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated. Add chocolate chips and mix together again.
- Scoop and bake: Scoop the cookie dough and roll into 13-15 balls, then transfer to the baking sheets. Bake the cookies on the middle rack in the oven, one tray at a time, for 12-13 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven when the edges begin to firm but the center appears slightly underbaked. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet outside of the oven.
- Decorate: Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir together, then microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Drizzle melted chocolate over the cookies. Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top. Rest cookies until the chocolate sets or enjoy immediately!
- *Vegan Butter: When it comes to baking cookies, I always recommend using vegan butter from a tub instead of vegan butter sticks. You can still create this cookie recipe with stick butter, but tub butter provides the best results.
- **Peppermint Extract: If you are using peppermint flavor instead of peppermint extract, increase to 1 + 1/2 teaspoons.
- **Cocoa powder: Be sure to use regular cocoa powder. If the ingredient label says “dutch processed cocoa” or “cocoa processed with alkali” it is incorrect. The ingredients should simply list “cocoa” instead.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 24g
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan chocolate peppermint cookies, vegan christmas cookies