This orange tofu is crispy, sweet, tangy, and easy to make! It’s a healthy vegan and gluten-free dinner recipe that pairs well with rice.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3–4 tbsp oil (sesame or olive oil)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2-inch ginger, finely grated (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- Brown or white rice
- Green onion, to garnish
- Sesame seeds, to garnish
- Press tofu: Remove tofu block from its packaging. Use a tofu press for 15 minutes to remove excess moisture. If you don’t have a tofu press, wrap the tofu in paper towel and place a heavy object on top of it (such as a book).
- Prepare rice: If serving this dish with rice, prepare it according to package instructions.
- Crispy tofu: Slice the pressed tofu into 1-inch cubes. Combine the tofu and cornstarch in a bowl. Gently toss the tofu to evenly coat all sides. Warm the oil on medium-high heat in a pan. Fry the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. After, transfer the tofu to a plate and pour out any leftover oil from the pan.
- Orange sauce: Whisk the orange juice, soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, sriracha sauce, garlic, and ginger together. In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water together. Reheat the pan on medium temperature. Pour the orange sauce into the pan and bring it to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water mixture and stir to combine. Once the sauce thickens, add the fried tofu. Toss to evenly coat all of the tofu.
- Serve: Divide the orange tofu amongst serving bowls with brown or white rice. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
- Be sure to use rice vinegar. Do not try to substitute it with apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.
- To bake the tofu: Toss the tofu cubes in cornstarch. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake tofu at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown.
- Nutrition information reflects the orange tofu recipe without any rice.
- Serving Size: 1/3 recipe
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 26g
- Fat: 15.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 16g
Keywords: orange tofu, vegan chinese recipes, cubed tofu recipes