This butternut squash curry is comforting, hearty, and packed with flavor! Subtly-sweet butternut squash is simmered with coconut milk, warming spices, and fire-roasted tomatoes. It’s vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, and gluten-free. This quick and easy recipe is made with one pot and ready in under 30 minutes. Serve the curry over white or brown rice to complete the dish.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 4 heaping cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 14oz can coconut milk, full-fat or lite
- 1 14oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 4 cups baby spinach or kale
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1–2 cups dry rice, for serving
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts, for serving
- 1/4 cup cilantro, for serving
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Warm the coconut oil in a large stock pot on medium heat. Add diced onion/shallot and stir fry for 5-6 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Add minced garlic and grated ginger, stirring for 1 minute. Add butternut squash, red curry paste, coconut sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cumin. Stir together until ingredients are evenly coated.
- Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, and tamari/soy sauce. Stir together. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 15-20 minutes. Once the butternut squash is fork-tender, remove the lid. Add baby spinach and stir until wilted.
- Remove the pot from heat. Stir in the lime juice.
- Divide curry amongst bowls along with rice. Garnish with crushed peanuts and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
- I recommend using the Thai Kitchen brand of red curry paste.
- If you cannot find fire-roasted diced tomatoes, regular diced tomatoes are fine. If this is the case, you may want to add additional spices to the recipe.
- Nutrition information is an estimate using lite coconut milk and without rice.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 12g
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: butternut squash curry, vegan curry recipe