Vegan three bean chili is full of flavor and packed with plant-based protein! This warm and cozy meal will be your new favorite dinner for winter nights.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, or coconut)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
To serve (optional):
- Cashew sour cream
- Corn tortilla chips
- Prepare ingredients; dice onion, mince garlic, dice bell peppers, peel and chop carrots, drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a stock pot on medium temperature. Add oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add carrots and bell peppers. Sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes. Then, add all other ingredients. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Bring ingredients to a rapid boil on high heat. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally while simmering. The chili may need more or less time depending on the type of pot and temperature of your stove. You’ll know it’s finished when the carrots are soft but still intact.
- Serve chili with vegan sour cream, sliced jalapeño, avocado, cilantro, and corn tortilla chips.
- Allow chili to cool for 20 minutes before transferring leftovers to a container and storing in the refrigerator. To reheat leftovers, add to a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
Keywords: three bean chili, chili, vegan chili, black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, chickpeas