This vegan tempeh chili is healthy, hearty, and full of flavor! It’s a protein-packed vegetarian chili recipe that’s perfect for weeknight dinners. Top it with cashew sour cream and avocado.
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, or vegetable)
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 block tempeh, crumbled
- 2 cups chopped vegetables* (See Notes)
- 2.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 14-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
For Serving (optional)
- Cashew sour cream
- Corn tortilla chips
- Warm oil and diced onion in a large stock pot. Sauté onions for 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic, crumbled tempeh, chopped vegetables of choice, chili powder, cumin, salt, smoked paprika, and chipotle powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add kidney beans, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, tomato paste, and coconut sugar. Mix ingredients together. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer (partially covered) for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve chili with vegan cashew sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and/or corn tortilla chips.
- *You can use any vegetables of your choosing. I recommend carrot and bell peppers, but other options include green peas, celery, zucchini, sweet potato, and butternut squash.
- Feel free to adjust the spices to your own liking.
- To crumble tempeh, simply rip apart the tempeh block over the stock pot. It will crumble and act as the “meat” in this chili recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fiber: 21g
- Protein: 23g
Keywords: vegan tempeh chili, tempeh recipes, vegetarian chili