Vegan tempeh burrito bowls are easy, healthy, and one of the best busy weeknight dinner ideas! This high protein vegan meal is loaded with pantry staples like black beans, brown rice, corn, avocado, and pico de gallo. It’s gluten-free, vegetarian, and perfect for lunch meal prep! #vegandinner #veganrecipe #tempeh #healthyrecipe #meatless #whole30 #plantbased #healthydinnerideas
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 block tempeh (8oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cook rice according to the package instructions. While the rice is cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- Drain and rinse the cans of black beans and corn. Set aside.
- Roughly grate the block of tempeh or use clean hands to crumble it over a bowl.
- Combine water, tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup, and lime juice in a bowl. Set aside.
- Warm a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the oil and diced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add crumbled tempeh, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until the tempeh browns. If needed, you can add an extra dash of water or oil to prevent sticking. Then, add the liquid “marinade” and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Divide the rice, black beans, corn, lettuce, and tempeh amongst bowls. Add the toppings of your choosing, including pico de gallo, avocado, guacamole, salsa, and cashew cream, etc. Enjoy!
- Read the blog post for more recommended toppings and dressings.
- The nutrition information below includes brown rice. If you use cauliflower rice, it will be significantly lower in calories.
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4 recipe)
- Calories: 495
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 82g
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 24g
Keywords: vegan tempeh burrito bowls, tempeh recipes, tempeh bowl