This vegan red velvet cupcakes recipe is easy, dairy-free, and gluten-free friendly! These deep red cupcakes are soft, fluffy, moist, and contain a hint of chocolate flavor. The simple recipe is made with pantry staples like coconut milk and coconut oil. They are topped with a thick swirl of vanilla buttercream frosting. It’s a perfect vegan Valentine’s Day dessert! #redvelvet #cupcakes #vegancupcakes #cupcakerecipe #vegandessert #veganbaking #vegancake #cupcakerecipes
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tsp distilled white vinegar, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp liquid red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp natural cocoa powder (not dutch-processed)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- In a bowl, add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together until all of the clumps are removed.
- In a separate bowl, add coconut milk and distilled white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar or lemon juice) to a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to curdle. After, add melted coconut oil, red food coloring, and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Then, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until evenly incorporated; do not over-mix the batter.
- Next, fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full with the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool inside the tin for at least 10 minutes. After, you can remove them from the tin to cool completely.
- First, add cubed vegan butter, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, beat together until creamy.
- Then, add 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar to the bowl. Beat together until evenly combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar to the bowl, and beat together again. If needed, add extra splashes of coconut milk to thin the frosting.
- Lastly, pipe the buttercream frosting onto the cupcakes. If desired, decorate with sprinkles or red velvet cake crumbs. Enjoy!
- How to store: These are best enjoyed the same day you bake them. However, if you have leftovers, store them in a sealed container inside the refrigerator. They will keep for 3-4 days. Let them come to room temperature before enjoying.
- Coconut oil: Measure melted coconut oil, not solid coconut oil. In order to melt coconut oil, microwave it for 45 seconds.
- Powdered sugar: Start with 3 cups of powdered sugar. Increase to 4 cups if you would like a sweeter flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 462
- Sugar: 44g
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan red velvet cupcakes, dairy-free red velvet cupcakes