Vegan cowboy cookies are loaded with oats, chocolate chips, coconut, pecans, and cinnamon! This dairy-free dessert is made with one bowl and there’s no chilling needed. These bakery style cookies are super thick, chewy, soft, and fluffy. Legend says, they were the original energy bar for cowboys during their long journeys! #cowboycookies #vegancookies #vegandessert #cookierecipes #oatmealcookies #oatmeal #coconut #pecans #veganbaking
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, slightly softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free baking flour), measured correctly*
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup Let’s Do Organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup raw chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt, for topping
- Prep the oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Create the flax egg: Combine ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. The mixture will gelatinize, like an egg.
- Combine wet ingredients: In a large bowl, combine the vegan butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add almond milk, flax egg, and vanilla extract. Cream together once more to combine.
- Add dry ingredients: Add all-purpose flour, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl. Mix together just until the flour is evenly incorporated. Add shredded coconut, chopped pecans, and chocolate chips. Stir together.
- Bake cookies: Scoop cookie dough into balls and transfer to the baking sheets. Bake cookies for 12-13 minutes, or until the edges begin to firm. Remove cookies from the oven while the center still appears slightly underbaked. Let them cool on the baking sheet; they will firm and de-puff while cooling. Sprinkle flaky sea salt on top (optional but recommended). Enjoy!
- *How to measure flour: Flour should never be scooped and packed into the measuring cup. Instead, gently spoon the flour into a measuring cup and level off the top with a flat object (such as the back of a knife). Alternatively, you can weigh the flour using a food scale.
- How to store: Store leftover cookies in a sealed container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
- How to freeze: If storing longterm, you can freeze the cookie dough or the pre-baked cookies. Keep balls of dough or pre-baked cookies inside a tightly sealed ziplock bag, using parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together. Be sure to let the cookie dough come to room temperature before baking.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan cowboy cookies, vegan oatmeal coconut cookies, oatmeal pecan cookies