These vegan chickpea burgers are a flavorful, satisfying, and delicious plant-based dinner! The healthy patties are loaded with veggies, whole grains, fresh herbs, and spices. Made without breadcrumbs, without flour, and all gluten-free ingredients. Enjoy this savory chickpea patty between a bun with your favorite toppings!
We may have already covered vegan black bean burgers, but life wouldn’t be complete without it’s equally-delicious counterpart: vegan chickpea burgers. The chickpea patties are made with 8 ingredients including oats, grated carrots, fresh cilantro, onion, garlic, and various spices. They’re fiber-filled, nutrient-rich, and oh so satisfying!
There are many ways to enjoy these veggie patties. Stack ’em between a bun and add your favorite fixings, crumble it over a salad, or stuff it inside a wrap. All ways are enjoyable!
These vegan chickpea burgers are:
- Healthy, gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free, and flourless
- Packed with veggies and savory spices
- Fresh, flavorful, and a great source of plant-based protein
- Easy to make // baked in the oven
- Made without breadcrumbs and no eggs
What ingredients are in chickpea veggie burgers?
- Garbanzo beans: Garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, are the main ingredient in this recipe. They’re rich in plant-based protein, fiber, and contain key nutrients like folate, iron, and manganese.
- Carrot: Grated carrots create texture, color, and provide additional nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin K, and potassium.
- Oats: Most veggie burgers use breadcrumbs or flour, but we’ll use oats instead! Oats help to bind the ingredients while still keeping the patties gluten-free. You can use quick cooking oats if you do not have rolled oats.
- Cilantro: Cilantro gives the patties a light and fresh flavor. If you don’t like cilantro, you can use parsley or basil instead.
- Onion and garlic: Onion and garlic are sautéed along with the carrots to create a tasty flavor and aroma.
- Spices: A blend of paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper spice up the veggie patties. Feel free to get creative and add any other spices.
How to make vegan chickpea burgers
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below.
Start by warming a large skillet on medium heat. Add oil, diced onion, and grated carrots. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and fragrant. Add minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
Then, combine all ingredients inside the bowl of a food processor. Pulse and grind the ingredients until a nearly smooth mixture forms.
Next, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bake the patties for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Once the chickpea patties are golden and crispy, it’s time to enjoy them!
Ways to enjoy these chickpea patties
Burger: Keep it simple! Enjoy the chickpea patty sandwiched between a burger bun and your favorite toppings. Don’t forget the condiments, too.
Protein-style: Skip the bun and add the patty to a lettuce wrap along with regular burger toppings.
Crumbled: Crumble a patty on top of your favorite salad, burrito bowl, or buddha bowl. It adds a delicious flavor, texture, and boost of plant-based protein.
Wrapped: Stuff the chickpea patty inside a wrap (or pita pocket) along with your favorite fillings.
What toppings do you put on a veggie burger?
There are endless toppings to include in your chickpea veggie burger! Here are a few of my favorite add-ins and condiments:
Add-ins: Tomato, red onion, sprouts, avocado, lettuce, pickles, vegan cheese, pickled jalapeño, pickled onion, or vegan bacon
Condiments: Ketchup, BBQ sauce, hummus, guacamole, mayo, garlic aioli, mustard, or thousand island dressing
How to freeze vegan chickpea patties
Got leftovers? No worries, because these are freezer-friendly! After the patties have cooled, place them inside a ziplock bag or airtight container. Store in the freezer where they will keep for up to 3 months. If you’re storing multiple patties, I recommend placing a piece of parchment paper between each one to prevent sticking.
To reheat, allow them to thaw for a few minutes at room temperature. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Alternatively, cook on a lightly-greased skillet until golden and crispy.
Sides to serve with veggie burgers
More vegan recipes with chickpeas
- Easy Chickpea Curry
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Vegan Moroccan Stew
- Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chickpea Curry
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Vegan Three Bean Chili
These vegan chickpea burgers are a flavorful, delicious, and satisfying plant-based dinner! The chickpea patties are made with gluten-free ingredients including oats, carrots, fresh herbs, and savory spices. They are made without breadcrumbs, without flour, and no eggs. Enjoy the healthy veggie patty between a bun with your favorite fixings!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup grated carrot (2–3 large carrots)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 15-oz cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Burger buns
- Optional fixings (avocado, tomato, red onion, lettuce, pickles, sprouts, etc)
- Optional condiments (ketchup, bbq sauce, hummus, mayo, etc)
- Prepare ingredients: drain and rinse the garbanzo beans, then pat them dry with a paper towel. Grate the carrots and measure 1 cup. Dice the onion.
- Warm a skillet on medium-low heat. Add oil, diced onion, and grated carrots. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is fragrant and translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pule and grind the food processor until a nearly smooth mixture forms.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop the mixture into 6 balls. Flatten each ball into a round patty, sealing any cracked edges.
- Bake patties for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Be gentle while flipping because the patties will be delicate still. After, serve on burger buns with your favorite fixings.
- For an oil-free option, cook the onion and carrots in 1/4 cup water instead of olive oil.
- If your batter is too wet while forming the patties, you can flour the working surface to reduce moisture. Alternatively, you can refrigerate the mixture for 15-30 minutes before forming the patties. These steps are unnecessary whenever I make this recipe, but several factors can alter the moisture content from time to time.
- Serve these chickpea patties with your favorite fixings. Options include tomato, red onion, avocado, sprouts, lettuce, guacamole, pickles, ketchup, bbq sauce, hummus, mayo, pickled jalapeño, garlic aioli, picked onion, etc.
- Serving Size: 1 patty (without bun and fixings)
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: vegan chickpea burgers, chickpea veggie burgers
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!