This vegan burrito bowl recipe is healthy, easy to make, and so flavorful! Enjoy a bed of romaine lettuce filled with cilantro lime rice and a blend of spicy black beans and corn. Add your favorite toppings such as guacamole, pico de gallo, vegan sour cream, and salsa. It’s a quick plant-based meal that’s perfect for lunch and dinner!
Did you know it’s possible to create delicious, satisfying, and flavorful burrito bowls with simple ingredients + just 30 minutes? That’s right, there’s no need for take-out when you can make the real deal at home! Plus, with a wide variety of toppings and mix-ins to choose from, you can make it exactly the way you like.
This vegan burrito bowl is:
- Vegetarian, gluten-free, and soy-free
- Light & fresh yet filling & satisfying
- Made with healthy and wholesome ingredients
- Easy to make and ready in 30 minutes
- A quick lunch or dinner recipe
- Versatile and easily adaptable
What do you put in a burrito bowl?
There are so many ways to make a burrito bowl at home, but this recipe uses classic ingredients. This homemade vegan burrito bowl includes:
- Black beans: Since this recipe is plant-based, black beans are used as the main source of protein. Beans contain a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
- Rice: Choose from long-grain brown rice or white rice. If you don’t like rice, you can use quinoa instead.
- Lettuce: I always use romaine lettuce, but spinach is another good option. If you really want to get your greens in, use massaged kale.
- Corn: Corn is combined with black beans to create a spicy plant-based protein blend.
- Onion: Onion provides flavor for the black beans and corn.
- Lime: Freshly-squeezed lime juice is preferred, but lime juice from a carton also works.
- Guacamole: Buy pre-made guacamole or create your own at home! Avocados are incredibly nutritious and packed with healthy fats.
- Pico de gallo: Pico de gallo consists of chopped tomato, onion, Serrano peppers, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Spices: A blend of chili powder, garlic, cumin, paprika, chipotle powder, and black pepper are used to prepare the spicy black beans and corn.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is needed for the homemade cilantro lime rice. It can also be a garnish when serving the burrito bowls.
How to make homemade vegan burrito bowls
For the ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the full recipe card at the bottom of the page. In the meantime, here’s a brief overview of how to create this homemade burrito bowl recipe!
Cilantro lime rice
Cilantro lime rice may sound fancy, but it’s incredibly simple. After cooking the brown or white rice, transfer it to a bowl. Then, add in chopped cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Mix everything together.
Spicy black beans and corn
To prepare the beans and corn, heat a large pan with oil and diced onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent and fragrant. Next, toss in the black beans, corn, and spices. Mix together and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Toppings for burrito bowls
One of my favorite things about burrito bowls is how versatile the ingredients are. There are lots of toppings and mix-ins to choose from.
10 healthy burrito bowl toppings:
- Pico de gallo
- Vegan cashew sour cream
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Vegan nacho cheese
- Hot or mild salsa
- Tortilla strips
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce or sriracha
Other ways to serve this plant-based Mexican dish
Create a burrito bowl bar. It’s always fun to prepare a burrito bowl bar for the whole family to enjoy! To do this, set out the toppings and mix-ins in separate bowls. After dividing the lettuce, rice, and beans amongst each serving bowl, let everyone pick and choose their own toppings from the burrito bowl bar.
Make it a burrito. Wrap the ingredients in a large tortilla to create homemade burritos. This is a great freezer-friendly way to store leftovers, too!
Make tacos. Is it taco Tuesday? Warm up some corn tortillas and serve the recipe as tacos instead of a bowl.
More vegan Mexican recipes
More easy vegan meals
- Vegan Three Bean Chili
- Vegan Peanut Noodles
- Orange Tofu
- Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Easy Chickpea Curry
This vegan burrito bowl is easy, healthy, and so delicious! It’s packed with cilantro lime rice, spicy black beans, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Enjoy this plant-based meal for lunch or dinner!
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (~3 cups cooked)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon salt, more as needed
Spicy Black Beans & Corn
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, avocado, coconut)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Cook rice according to package.
- Add rice, cilantro, lime juice, and salt to a bowl. Mix together.
Spicy Black Beans & Corn
- While rice is cooking, prepare the spicy black beans and corn.
- Warm a large pan on medium heat. Add oil and diced onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add black beans, corn, and spices to the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the rice and beans are cooking, prepare the guacamole.
- Slice the avocado and remove the pit.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Mash together until nearly smooth and creamy.
- Add chopped romaine lettuce to bowls.
- Divide cilantro lime rice + spicy black beans and corn amongst each bowl.
- Add pico de gallo, vegan sour cream, salsa, tortilla strips, or any other toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
- Interested in other ways to enjoy this recipe? Wrap the ingredients in a large tortilla and create homemade burritos. Alternatively, use small corn tortillas to make tacos.
- Serving Size: ⅓ recipe
- Calories: 653
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 105g
- Fiber: 29g
- Protein: 23g
Keywords: vegan burrito bowl, vegan mexican recipes, vegetarian rice bowl recipes
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!