Sweet potato black bean taquitos are vegan, gluten-free, and easy to make! The crispy and crunchy corn tortillas are stuffed with mashed sweet potato and smoky black beans. Enjoy this healthy appetizer with guacamole, salsa, and cashew sour cream.
Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Black Bean Mix
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Cooking spray or oil (optional)
- Guacamole, for serving
- Salsa, for serving
- Vegan sour cream, for serving
- Cook sweet potatoes: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cubed sweet potatoes to the boiling water. Reduce heat to medium. Boil for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cooked through. After, drain the water.
- Create the sweet potato filling: Add cooked sweet potatoes, vegan butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to a large bowl. Mash the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Create the black bean mix: Heat a skillet on medium-low temperature. Add oil and diced onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add minced garlic, black beans, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Warm the corn tortillas by covering them with a damp paper towel and microwaving for 30-second intervals until warm and pliable. Do not skip this step; this helps to ensure they don’t break while rolling.
- Assemble taquitos: Spread 1/4 cup sweet potato filling across a third of the tortilla. Top with 3 tbsp black bean mix. Roll the tortilla around the filling to form a tube. Place tortilla onto the baking sheet, seam side facing down. Repeat until all tortillas are used.
- Bake taquitos: Liberally spray the taquitos with cooking oil spray or lightly brush with oil. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve with guacamole, salsa, and vegan sour cream.
- Be sure to warm the corn tortillas before assembling the taquitos. This will make them pliable and reduce the chance of the tortillas breaking apart. To warm, cover the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30-second intervals until pliable.
- If following an oil-free diet, you can omit the oil and vegan butter.
- Serving Size: 1 taquito
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: sweet potato black bean taquitos, vegan potato taquitos