Pumpkin Mug Cake (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
This pumpkin mug cake is a single-serving dessert recipe for the fall season! It’s vegan, gluten-free, super easy, and ready in just 5 minutes from start to finish. This fall dessert is made with healthy ingredients, including oat flour, almond butter, pumpkin purée, and pumpkin pie spice. It’s loaded with delicious autumn flavors like cinnamon, maple, nutmeg, and ginger. You’ll feel like you’re eating pumpkin pie in a mug!
Fall is officially HERE! When it comes to the food world, I’m sure you already know what that means. ‘Tis the season of all things pumpkin, right? I have lots and lots of pumpkin-filled goodies up my sleeve this year, and I cannot wait to share them all with you. Today, I thought we’d kick things off with this incredibly delicious pumpkin cake in a mug. It’s filled with creamy pumpkin, a hint of maple syrup, and all of the warm autumn spices.
This single-serving dessert is the perfect way to get your pumpkin fix without making a mess of your kitchen. Since the batter is mixed and cooked in one mug, clean-up is effortless and the entire recipe takes just 5 minutes to make. While baking is a popular fall activity, this treat is a convenient way to join in on the action without needing to bake an entire cake or a dozen muffins at once. That means there are no leftovers to tempt you all week long after you enjoy it!
This pumpkin mug cake is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and oil-free
- Quick and easy to make
- Super moist, light, and fluffy
- Filled with delicious fall flavors
- Refined sugar-free
- Naturally sweetened with maple syrup
- Packed with fiber and plant-based protein
- Customizable with various toppings to choose from
What is a mug cake?
Just as the name suggests, this easy dessert is quite literally a cake in a mug. Instead of baking in the oven, it’s made in the microwave in just two minutes. Mug cakes contain typical cake ingredients, like flour, milk, butter, sugar, and leavener. However, you’ll notice that no eggs are needed.
This particular recipe is a healthy, plant-based twist on traditional cake. Therefore, we’ll use whole food alternatives such as oat flour, almond milk, almond butter, and maple syrup. It’s truly a guilt-free indulgence since it’s made with nutritious ingredients.
- Oat flour: Oat flour is a fiber-packed alternative to plain flour. It’s naturally gluten-free and packed with minerals. You can make your own oat flour by blending rolled oats in a blender or a food processor. If you choose to do this, be sure it is blended into a very fine flour. It should be as close to regular flour as possible.
- Pumpkin: Use canned pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling. If you cannot find pumpkin purée at a grocery store, you can easily make your own with fresh pumpkin at home.
- Almond butter: Creamy almond butter is my favorite for this recipe. However, you can also try peanut butter or cashew butter.
- Maple syrup: This mug cake contains no refined sugar. Instead, it is sweetened with real maple syrup.
- Almond milk: Use almond milk or another plant-based milk, like oat milk or coconut milk.
- Pumpkin pie spice: This blend of warm spices includes cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and ginger. You can buy it at a grocery store or make your own at home.
- Cinnamon: Although pumpkin pie spice already contains a bit of cinnamon, I love adding extra for a rich cinnamon flavor.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract makes nearly every dessert taste more delicious. Don’t skip it!
- Baking powder: This ingredient is a leavener which helps the mug cake rise in the microwave.
- Salt: Add a pinch of salt to enhance the other ingredients.
How to make a pumpkin spice mug cake
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Begin by adding the pumpkin purée, almond milk, almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a mug. Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
Next, add the oat flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt. Stir together until evenly combined.
Then, place the mug in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and add toppings your choosing. Enjoy!
What are the best mug cake toppings?
Just like traditional cake, mug cakes are not complete without toppings. You can keep it classic with frosting or make it a healthier treat with other ingredients. Try the options below to discover your favorite!
- Frosting: Add a dollop of vanilla frosting to make it taste like real cake.
- Nut butter: Spread creamy almond butter on top for a healthier frosting alternative.
- Caramel sauce: Drizzle Vegan Peanut Butter Caramel (3 Ingredients!) over the top.
- Chocolate chips: Chocolate chips make it taste like a delicious chocolate chip pumpkin muffin.
- Coconut yogurt: Dairy-free yogurt is a great low-sugar replacement for frosting.
- Ice cream: Top it with a scoop of vegan vanilla bean ice cream for an indulgent treat.
- Whipped cream: Add a swirl of vegan whipped cream or CocoWhip.
- Granola: Sprinkle your favorite granola over top.
- Nuts: Add healthy fats by including chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts.
- Cinnamon sugar: Dust cinnamon sugar on top for a sweeter flavor.
More vegan mug cake recipes
- Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Funfetti Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Chocolate Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Other recipes with pumpkin puree
- Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes
- Gooey Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Pumpkin Energy Balls
This pumpkin mug cake recipe is healthy, easy, vegan, and gluten-free! It’s one of the best single serving desserts for fall. With just 5 minutes, you can make this cake in a mug inside the microwave. It’s packed with delicious fall flavors and guilt-free ingredients like pumpkin puree, oat flour, almond butter, and maple syrup. #mugcake #pumpkinspice #mugcakemicrowave #pumpkindessert #fallrecipes #falldesserts #microwave #vegandessert #veganrecipe
Pumpkin Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Vanilla frosting, almond butter, ice cream, granola, nuts, etc.
- Add pumpkin purée, almond milk, almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a wide mug. Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add oat flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together until combined.
- Place mug in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Use a wide mug for the best results. Keep an eye on the mug cake while it is cooking so it doesn’t overflow.
- Read the full blog post for mug cake topping ideas.
- Serving Size: 1 mug cake
- Calories: 410
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: pumpkin mug cake, pumpkin cake in a mug, fall mug cake
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!