This pineapple coconut smoothie is refreshing, sweet, creamy, and bursting with tropical flavor! It’s vegan, dairy-free, and packed with healthy ingredients. Combine frozen pineapple with coconut milk, coconut yogurt, and vanilla extract to create this sunny beverage. The original recipe is great for kids, but you can also add white rum to transform it into a piña colada for adults!
When it comes to tropical flavors, pineapple + coconut is certainly my favorite duo. So, of course, I adore this smoothie recipe. In fact, it’s my current go-to when the Florida weather is just too hot to handle! Wherever you are, this smoothie will mentally transport you beachside and the sunny color will instantly make you smile.
Since pineapple is the main ingredient in this beverage, it is jam-packed with vitamin C, antioxidants, and digestive enzymes. The addition of coconut milk and coconut yogurt provide a touch of dietary fat to keep you satiated longer, too. If desired, you can add a dash of maple syrup to sweeten the smoothie.
Another important thing to point out is how similar this smoothie is to a classic piña colada. It has the key flavor components of pineapple and coconut, but one thing is missing: white rum. If you want to get boozy with it, you can easily transform the recipe into a healthier, homemade, alcoholic piña colada. (More on that below!)
This pineapple coconut smoothie is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free
- Refreshing, sweet, and coconutty
- Quick, easy, and made in 5 minutes
- A refreshing snack to enjoy by the pool
- Requires just 5 ingredients
- Available as an alcoholic piña colada
What is a pineapple coconut smoothie made of?
- Pineapple: This juicy fruit is loaded with health benefits. It’s a great source of vitamin C, antioxidants, and bromelain to aid digestion.
- Coconut yogurt: This dairy-free yogurt gives the smoothie a creamy consistency. For the best results, be sure to use a brand that you already know and love.
- Coconut milk: For a rich coconut flavor, I suggest using coconut milk as the liquid in this smoothie recipe. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use almond milk but it will create a milder flavor.
- Maple syrup: If you want to sweeten this smoothie, I recommend adding a spoonful of real maple syrup. Alternatively, you can use medjool dates, agave nectar, honey, or coconut nectar.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract is a secret ingredient you won’t commonly find in smoothies. However, I find it to pair really well with pineapple and coconut.
- Lemon juice: A small dash of lemon juice brings a sharp, tangy flavor that contrasts the other sweet ingredients.
How to make a pineapple smoothie with coconut milk
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Combine. First, add all of the ingredients to a blender. This includes frozen pineapple, coconut yogurt, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Blend. Next, blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Pour. After, pour the smoothie into glasses. Enjoy!
How to make a piña colada smoothie
Ready to get boozy? This pineapple coconut smoothie can easily be transformed into a healthier piña colada drink.
What is a piña colada made of?
A piña colada is an alcoholic beverage made of pineapple juice, coconut milk or coconut cream, white rum, and ice. It was first created in 1954 by Ramón “Monchito” Marrero, a bartender at the Caribe Hilton, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The drink is typically enjoyed poolside with a fresh slice of pineapple on top.
Since the ingredients in this smoothie are already similar to those in a piña colada, you can adjust the recipe to enjoy during happy hour. How so? Simply add 2 ounces of white rum and a handful of ice to the blender, along with the other ingredients. Your Taco Tuesdays just got more fun!
Tips for perfecting this beverage
Use frozen fruit. As always, I suggest using frozen pineapple instead of fresh pineapple. Frozen fruit provides a thick consistency and creates a refreshing, chilly temperature.
Add a sweetener. Sweetener is certainly not necessary because pineapple is sweet enough all on its own. However, if you are up for a treat, a dash of maple syrup enhances the flavor. If you don’t like maple syrup, you can use another natural sweetener like medjool dates, agave nectar, coconut nectar, or honey.
Use your favorite non-dairy yogurt. It’s best to use a brand of coconut yogurt that you already enjoy. If you like the coconut yogurt on its own, you’ll love it in this tropical smoothie!
More vegan smoothies recipes
- Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Mango Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Simple Green Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie
- Banana Almond Butter Smoothie
If you try this Pineapple Coconut Smoothie, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
This pineapple coconut smoothie recipe is healthy, refreshing, and bursting with tropical flavor! It’s vegan, dairy-free, and made in 5 minutes. Combine frozen pineapple with coconut milk, coconut yogurt, and maple syrup to create this summer beverage. You can also add white rum to make it an alcoholic pina colada smoothie! #smoothie #smoothierecipe #detoxsmoothie #pineapple #coconut #smoothierecipeshealthy #smoothiesforweightloss #smoothiediet #healthybreakfast
- 3 cups frozen pineapple
- ½ cup coconut yogurt
- 1–2 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Pinch of turmeric (optional, for color)
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy, adding more coconut milk if needed.
- Pour smoothie into glasses. Enjoy!
- Sweetening the smoothie with maple syrup is optional. You can also try adding medjool dates, agave nectar, or honey for a sweet flavor.
- If you want a darker yellow color, simply add a pinch of turmeric.
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 23g
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 1.5g
Keywords: pineapple coconut smoothie, pina colada smoothie
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!