Crispy jackfruit nuggets are vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free! These meatless chicken nuggets can be baked, fried, or cooked in an air fryer. The tender, juicy jackfruit is coated in a crispy, crunchy breadcrumb batter. They can be an after school snack for kids or meatless game day appetizer. Dip in ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, and more! #jackfruit #meatless #veganchicken #nuggets #chickennuggets #meatfree #veganrecipes #vegetarianrecipes #gameday #appetizer
- 2 cans jackfruit, drained and rinsed*
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Jackfruit: Drain and rinse the jackfruit in a mesh strainer. Transfer jackfruit to a cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut off the firm, pointy tips of each piece (optional).
- Buttermilk: In a bowl, combine almond milk and lemon juice. Whisk together.
- Flour: In a second bowl, combine flour and corn starch. Whisk together.
- Breadcrumbs: In a third bowl, combine breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and paprika. Whisk together.
- Prepare baking sheet: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Assemble: Create a line of the flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs. Dip one piece of jackfruit into the flour, then buttermilk, and then breadcrumbs. Repeat one more time, evenly coating the entire piece of jackfruit. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat until all jackfruit is coated.
- How to bake: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously spray the breaded nuggets with non-stick cooking oil. Bake for 25 minutes, gently flipping once halfway through, until golden brown.
- How to fry: Warm vegetable oil (or any high-heat oil of your choosing) in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add a few pieces of jackfruit to the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes each side. If air frying, cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F in the air frying rack.
- Serve: Serve jackfruit nuggets with your choice of dip, like ketchup or BBQ sauce. Enjoy!
- *Use jackfruit canned in brine or water, not syrup. Rinse and drain the jackfruit thoroughly.
- Nutritional information is for baking or air frying the nuggets, not frying with oil.
- Serving Size: 1 nugget
- Calories: 35
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: jackfruit nuggets, fried jackfruit, meatless chicken nuggets