Healthy funfetti pancakes are vegan, gluten-free, and a festive birthday breakfast! These birthday cake pancakes are made from scratch without cake mix. The easy one-bowl recipe is made with oat flour, mashed banana, coconut flour, and rainbow sprinkles. You can decorate them with vanilla glaze, frosting, or whipped cream on top. Celebrate any special occasion with these colorful sprinkle pancakes!
I’m a firm believer that sprinkles make everything better. I’ve shared all sorts of sprinkle-filled goodies, like Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes, Edible Funfetti Cookie Dough, and No-Bake Funfetti Cheesecake Bars. However, life is way too short to save sprinkles just for dessert. Let’s bring ’em straight to breakfast with these Healthy Funfetti Pancakes!
Whether it’s a birthday, slumber party, big promotion, or regular Saturday morning, these sprinkle pancakes are a guaranteed way to make everyone smile. They are light, fluffy, moist and taste like funfetti cake batter. What better way to ensure a great day than with a colorful stack of pancakes?
Don’t be fooled by the delicious flavor and festive appearance though. These pancakes are secretly made with healthy ingredients, like oat flour, mashed banana, and coconut flour. Each pancake contains 5 grams protein and 4 grams of fiber. You’d never guess they are made with no eggs, no dairy, and no refined flour.
My favorite part? You can decorate your stack with all sorts of toppings. If you want to keep it nutritious, add fresh fruit, vanilla yogurt, or maple syrup on top. Alternatively, go all out with vanilla frosting, icing, or whipped cream!
These funfetti pancakes are:
- Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free
- Light, fluffy, cakey, and moist
- A fun sleepover breakfast idea
- Sweet like birthday cake batter
- A quick and easy one bowl pancake recipe
- Made with healthy ingredients
- A festive birthday breakfast idea for kids
Ingredients in birthday cake pancakes without cake mix
- Oat flour: Oat flour is made of finely ground rolled oats. It is naturally gluten-free, high fiber, and a healthy alternative to regular all-purpose flour.
- Coconut flour: Coconut flour is made from dried coconut that has been finely ground. The naturally sweet flavor makes it a great option for funfetti pancakes.
- Mashed banana: Mashed banana is a healthy egg replacement. The gooey texture helps bind the ingredients together, just like eggs would.
- Sprinkles: Funfetti recipes aren’t complete without sprinkles! I recommend using jimmies or confetti sprinkles. Don’t use non pareils as they are too crunchy.
- Almond milk: Use almond milk or your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Sugar: These birthday pancakes are sweetened with cane sugar to get an authentic flavor. If you want a refined sugar-free recipe, use coconut sugar instead.
- Baking powder and soda: These ingredients help the pancakes rise, creating a light and fluffy texture.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice and almond milk make vegan buttermilk. Also, it reacts with baking soda to help the pancakes rise.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla gives the pancakes a sweet dessert flavor.
- Almond extract: Almond extract has a super sweet flavor, which makes it a popular ingredient for funfetti recipes. If you don’t have any, you can omit it.
- Salt: A pinch of salt balances the sweet ingredients.
How to make healthy funfetti pancakes from scratch
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Firstly, add almond milk and lemon juice to a large bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will thicken a bit and begin to curdle. Add mashed banana, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract to the bowl. Mix together until smooth.
Next, add oat flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated. Stir in the sprinkles.
Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease it with coconut oil, vegan butter, or nonstick spray. Using a ¼ measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the hot skillet and form round pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Once bubbles begin to form on the surface, flip to cook the other side. Repeat until all of the batter is used.
Finally, serve pancakes with vanilla glaze (recipe below) or toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
How to make vanilla glaze for pancakes
Want to top these funfetti pancakes with vanilla glaze? It’s incredibly easy to make and requires just 4 ingredients.
In a bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoon melted vegan butter, 2 tablespoon almond milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk together until smooth, adding extra splashes of almond milk as needed (to thin it). Serve over pancakes.
Best toppings for birthday pancakes
Decorating pancakes is the best part! You can keep it simple with maple syrup or try some more creative toppings. Choose from several options below.
- Vanilla frosting, icing, or glaze
- Maple syrup or honey
- Fresh fruit (bananas or berries)
- Whipped cream
- Vanilla yogurt
- Powdered sugar
- White chocolate chips
- Chocolate chips
- Cashew butter or peanut butter
- Strawberry jam
Can I use regular flour? Yes, regular flour can be swapped for the oat flour/coconut flour with pretty similar results. Don’t pack flour into the measuring cup. Instead, gently spoon it into the cup and level off any excess.
What can I use instead of mashed banana? Mashed banana is an egg replacer. Another option includes applesauce, mashed sweet potato, and mashed pumpkin. In order to create a birthday cake flavor, I recommend sticking with mashed banana or using applesauce instead.
Can I make them refined sugar-free? Yes, you can use coconut sugar instead of cane sugar. I have not tested the recipe with a liquid sweeter, like maple syrup or honey.
How to store leftover pancakes
Store leftover funfetti pancakes inside a sealed container. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If saving the pancakes longterm, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store inside a sealed bag. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the pancakes, warm them using the oven, microwave, or skillet. If they are frozen, thaw before reheating.
If you try these Healthy Funfetti Pancakes (Vegan & Gluten-Free), please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTubePrint
Healthy funfetti pancakes are easy, vegan, gluten-free, and made from scratch without cake mix! These birthday cake pancakes are made with oat flour, banana, coconut flour, and rainbow sprinkles. The one bowl pancake recipe contains no eggs and no dairy. It’s a fun birthday breakfast idea for kids, sleepovers, or any celebration! #funfetti #birthdaycake #pancakes #veganpancakes #birthday #birthdayideas #sprinkles #veganbirthday #glutenfreepancakes #pancakerecipes #cakebatter
- 1 ½ cups almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup mashed banana (or applesauce)
- 2 tbsp sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups oat flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla frosting
- Whipped cream
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Add almond milk and lemon juice to a large bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will thicken a bit and begin to curdle. Add mashed banana, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract to the bowl. Mix together until smooth.
- Add oat flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease it with coconut oil, vegan butter, or nonstick spray. Using a ¼ measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the hot skillet and form round pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles begin to form on the surface, then flip to cook the other side. Repeat until all of the batter is used.
- To make the vanilla glaze, combine powdered sugar, melted vegan butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk together until smooth, adding splashes of almond milk as needed (to thin the consistency).
- Serve pancakes with vanilla glaze or any toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
- How to store pancakes: Store leftover funfetti pancakes inside a sealed container. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If saving the pancakes longterm, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store inside a sealed bag. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- How to reheat pancakes: Warm pancakes using the oven, microwave, or stovetop. If they are frozen, thaw before reheating.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: healthy funfetti pancakes, vegan birthday cake pancakes, vegan sprinkle pancakes
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!